Menu

s/o the weight thread

What diets are you doing and what are your resources?

I used to do WW but can't afford it now and don't want to have to drive 40 minutes to meetings.

I tried the Atkins (Adkins?) diet, liked it but just can't keep it up. Haven't looked into South Beach although have heard good things.

I keep hearing "raw", not sure what that is:confused:.. want to explain?

I so wish I could become a vegetarian but I am not big on veggies:ack2:, not all the time.

I like variety. I do need to lose weight though and want to look at different things and perhaps use a conglomeration.

Oh and please tell how you manage to feed your brood while doing it! :)

I use sparkpeople.com to track what I eat and my exercise (I don't necessarily follow their recommendations.) I started by just eating high fiber, but now my goal is to hit 30/30/40 for protein/fat/carb. I was exercising 6 days a week, but I have slacked off since Thanksgiving (so much has gone on!) I plan to get back to it soon.

I gave up regular soda and most caffeine (I am on meds that don't mix well with caffeine.) I also quit eating dairy because of my allergy - it was getting to the point where I couldn't function anymore.

I have lost 50 pounds since Sept. 13th.

I use sparkpeople.com to track what I eat and my exercise (I don't necessarily follow their recommendations.) I started by just eating high fiber, but now my goal is to hit 30/30/40 for protein/fat/carb. I was exercising 6 days a week, but I have slacked off since Thanksgiving (so much has gone on!) I plan to get back to it soon.

I gave up regular soda and most caffeine (I am on meds that don't mix well with caffeine.) I also quit eating dairy because of my allergy - it was getting to the point where I couldn't function anymore.

I have lost 50 pounds since Sept. 13th.

Can you explain what you mean by 30/30/40? I understand the protein/fat/carb thing but give me an example of a meal... do you measure on a food scale? Eyeball it? Count calories? This sounds similar to a diet I saw before.. Zone? or South Beach?

Can you explain what you mean by 30/30/40? I understand the protein/fat/carb thing but give me an example of a meal... do you measure on a food scale? Eyeball it? Count calories? This sounds similar to a diet I saw before.. Zone? or South Beach?

I don't know if it comes from a diet or not - it is just something that seems to work for me. I measure most everything I eat - some things I can eyeball, but I try not to do that too often. I usually eat 2 grain servings a day at the most. Today it was oatmeal and corn chips (not together!;)) Otherwise, I had some cooked veggies, raw veggies, ham, and chicken. Other days I eat more fruit, but I didn't have any here today.

Sparkpeople.com counts my calories and other nutrients and gives me a report at the end of the day that tells me what percentage of my calories came from protein/fat/carb. The only thing that is off-limits to me is dairy. I'll eat just about anything else in moderation and adjust the rest of my day to accomodate it. At first I was having a hard time getting my calories in, but my reduced exercise has given me fewer calories in my range.

Doing Sparkpeople here, too, but not following their diet. I know pretty well how to eat right--keeping track is the first step for me, as awareness of just how much I take in really helps me make better decisions.

I've begun measuring how much butter I use when cooking or making toast, how much meat I'm eating (I can eyeball it, but I also measure by spoon), even how much creamer I put in my coffee. I make things as convenient as possible, and I eat the same stuff as my family. It's helping me make better meals, too--I go for what will fill me up vs what won't.

Adding in some exercise every day has helped tremendously, as has not weighing myself every day. I found it triggered me to stop my new "diet/way of eating" if I weighed myself! Isn't that weird? Finding your triggers is important. I'm also setting really small goals.

Good luck--I'm inspired by the women here who have quietly changed the way they approach food and exercise, and are getting so much healthier!

I keep hearing "raw", not sure what that is:confused:.. want to explain?
Just that. Nothing cooked. Nothing processed.

You can actually have some things that are lightly cooked or dehydrated, but not over a specific temp.

Ex: Breakfast might include an apple with raw almond butter and/or fruit smoothie. Lunch might be a salad made with lots of fresh veggies with a homemade avocado dressing. Snack might be raw nuts and dried fruit.

There are a lot of websites on raw diets, if you want more info.