Menu

I-Pod Touch or Nook?

Ok, so my grandparents are AMAZING people and honestly after the *very* generous Christmas they gave us this year, getting what we recieved this year is :001_huh:

The $ will come in VERY handy and be put to VERY good use-last year it payed off a credit card (we hate using them but it saves our your-know-what in times of need) and plane tickets to see them.

DH and I always have agreed that with *some* of the $ we each get something "fun" for ourselves. I called my sister this afternoon and she said she would most likely get an I-Pod Touch. I have wanted a Nook for quite a while, and since J is starting to read more and more, I thought it would be nice to have books available to him as well.

Now there is a HUGE price difference between the two and I am not one whom *needs* internet access. Is there really enough "stuff" on an I-Pod Touch to justify the price difference?

What I really want to do is take J to Discovery Cove instead of pay off a car with the rest of the money...........

because the screen would be larger than my Touch. BUT on my Touch I:

Read Kindle books

Read Nook books

Read other ebooks and PDFs

Listen to music, podcasts, and audio books

Play Words with Friends (Scrabble-type game)

Read TWTM Forum

Check the weather

Check my Facebook

Pray the Rosary

Do my daily Bible reading

Set an alarm for prayers and waking (and get off the computer and go to sleep)

Listen to audio stories with the kids

Track my cycle

Read my Google reader

Check my email

Keep up with my calendar

Find and watch YouTube videos for school

Have a 5K running coach

Have copies of all of my digital photos from iPhoto - better than a wallet

Add stuff to my Evernote as I need to make notes

Have educational games and videos for the kids

Shop

Distract the baby during diapering with a Ladybug song

And most of those things I do with one hand while nursing. Depends on what you want it to do. :001_smile:

Read books :)

Honestly I am one of those people whom do not fret if I can't acess my email or FB for a longer period of time. We were in Disney for 8 days with no interent acess (we do not have it on our phone either) and didn't have any problems.

I write my grocery list on "old-fashioned" paper :tongue_smilie: This way DH can take it and go as well.

J will still have his Leapster but *I* need something to keep myself busy while he is in therapies/testing. I love to read but can't stand having a 15lb bag to carry around. Yes it is really that heavy when I add everything of J's plus a nice book for myself.

Look at the Nook Color.

That's what I have and I love it. My dd has a touch but the small screen is a turn off for me.

The Nook Color does have an audio feature. I can also check the boards and my email, fb, etc. on it. I don't really like it for that purpose, but my oldest dd uses it for fb a lot.

I just got an iPad for Christmas from my generous parents, and I think it (or the touch) would be great for all sorts of things... But not super for reading books. I think the lighting would wear on the eyes. Having said that, I love the experience of reading a real paper book and I love my kids seeing us reading real books, so I don't intend to use a reader. I love the apps - such as the cozy family organizer and the Motivated Moms chore apps!

• 2 weeks later...
Jumping in here with a question...

Do you have to have a particular format for the Nook Color like you do the Kindle? Or can you read any ebook on a Nook Color?

No dedicated ereader requires only one particular format, but none will display everything without some work on the reader's part. You can read anything on an Android tablet or an iPad though. No eInk device is that flexible, because Kindle books have to be modified to read them on anything but a Kindle, but Kindle doesn't accept library books easily. We have to have several different brands and sizes of ereaders to cover everything.

If you want to read books, get an ereader.

:iagree:

I love the ability to check my email and use the organizational tools on the iPod. My son uses a number of apps for school (flash cards, etc.), and we both read on it. If I didn't use all those features and only wanted to read on a device, I would get a Kindle.

No dedicated ereader requires only one particular format, but none will display everything without some work on the reader's part. You can read anything on an Android tablet or an iPad though. No eInk device is that flexible, because Kindle books have to be modified to read them on anything but a Kindle, but Kindle doesn't accept library books easily. We have to have several different brands and sizes of ereaders to cover everything.

So in order to read something on the Kindle or Nook, I'd have to fiddle with the format first? If I could only get one ereader, my best bet would be something like an iPad or something, if I didn't want to mess with the formats a bunch?

So in order to read something on the Kindle or Nook, I'd have to fiddle with the format first? If I could only get one ereader, my best bet would be something like an iPad or something, if I didn't want to mess with the formats a bunch?

Yes, as long as you're happy reading on an LCD screen. I'm not, at least not for a long time, but many people aren't bothered by it. I need my eInk.

Yes, as long as you're happy reading on an LCD screen. I'm not, at least not for a long time, but many people aren't bothered by it. I need my eInk.

The eInk is what is so appealing. But you're saying that all eInk devices would need some sort of format change to read just anything? (I'm SO clueless when it comes to this stuff...forgive me for being an ignoramous LOL!)

The eInk is what is so appealing. But you're saying that all eInk devices would need some sort of format change to read just anything? (I'm SO clueless when it comes to this stuff...forgive me for being an ignoramous LOL!)

Yes, to read absolutely any book that is sold or can be borrowed or rented. But that doesn't mean that you necessarily feel limited with any one eInk device. If you want to read library books, then a Kindle might not be a good choice, but Kindle allows many books that aren't purchased from Amazon, so you still have lots of options. And all ereaders can display millions of free ebooks that are out of copyright. Personally, we like our Sony readers best because we rely heavily on the library and rarely want to buy ebooks. But there are Kindle books that we need, so we have a Kindle too. But we use ereaders far more than most people do.