Menu

I had an epiphany the other day in a used bookstore. I've been picking up books to use as we head into the middle ages after Christmas and I realized that the period is just tailor made for a study of fairy tale and legend.

Not just reading about King Arthur and Norse mythology, but also taking apart what the qualities of a fairy tale are, reading a bunch and discussing them. Maybe even doing a comparison of one through different versions (Cinderella is often done this way).

I have a copy of the VP Fairy Tales literature guide that I'm planning to use to help us analyze the different stories we read (it's about the only lit guide I've ever kept, because it's about literary qualities rather than vocab and asking what I consider obvious questions).

I'm also planning on having the older kids read Tolkien's On Fairy Stories essay.

One of the issues I unexpectedly ran into when we went through ancients was a feeling that we'd already been there and done that. I'm not sure that the kids felt it, but for me, the second cycle through the period felt a little like a summer re-run (especially since we were missing all the great museum field trips of our first time through as our home in Japan didn't have museums with good ancients collections - I was seriously spoiled in Europe:001_rolleyes:). I'm thinking that spending some quality time on fairy tale and sagas will help keep things fresh.

I was thinking of some movies the other day and how they seem to fit the fairy tale genre. Movies like August Rush. I know many people didn't like or get that movie, but if it had been viewed as a modern fairy tale it would have been more appreciated.

It would be interesting to find a couple of modern fairy tales, either in lit or movie form, and see how they stand up against the classic tales.

I had some other movies in mind at the time, they escape me at this early moment.

I was thinking of some movies the other day and how they seem to fit the fairy tale genre. Movies like August Rush. I know many people didn't like or get that movie, but if it had been viewed as a modern fairy tale it would have been more appreciated.

It would be interesting to find a couple of modern fairy tales, either in lit or movie form, and see how they stand up against the classic tales.

I had some other movies in mind at the time, they escape me at this early moment.

I think it was called The Fisher King, it might qualify, though it was a little weird and harsh.

• 1 month later...

Last year we organized our lit reading as genre studies for something different. It was our modern year, but I have to say we had the most fun with fairy tales. We learned the elements of a fairy tale, then after reading some, analyzed them to find the elements. We also talked about fractured fairy tales and how those work. It sounds like you have some good resources lined up already, so it should be fun!

My kids absolutely love the 10th Kingdom. I'm not sure why, but they do! You might want to check it out if you have never seen it. (my 5 yo was quite sick over the weekend and she laid on the sofa w/me and watched all umpteen hrs of it in one sitting!) It can be scary in parts, so if your kids are sensitive to that you might want to preview it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0207275/

This is where I am headed as well.

Taking notes....

I've amassed quite a stockpile of fairy tale and myth books since we've been between homes. The kids have already been reading some Norse myths to go with the Vikings and then have moved into King Arthur, El Cid, Charlemagne and Robin Hood. Next we'll go into more fairy tale stories.

A couple books that I found that were useful were The Tolkien Reader, which includes On Fairy Stories; and Tales Before Narnia, which is a collection of stories from mostly the 19th century that inspired C. S. Lewis. (I found it really interesting to read these and think about how they might have suggested story elements to him. Anderson's The Snow Queen was especially interesting because it seemed like the version I was familiar with had been heavily abridged, taking out most of the religious underlaying of the story.)

I've amassed quite a stockpile of fairy tale and myth books since we've been between homes. The kids have already been reading some Norse myths to go with the Vikings and then have moved into King Arthur, El Cid, Charlemagne and Robin Hood. Next we'll go into more fairy tale stories.

A couple books that I found that were useful were The Tolkien Reader, which includes On Fairy Stories; and Tales Before Narnia, which is a collection of stories from mostly the 19th century that inspired C. S. Lewis. (I found it really interesting to read these and think about how they might have suggested story elements to him. Anderson's The Snow Queen was especially interesting because it seemed like the version I was familiar with had been heavily abridged, taking out most of the religious underlaying of the story.)

Thanks so much :) I will try to gather those.