Menu

ok, so now that I know WHY we should learn Latin...what is your favorite to use?!?!?!

sadiegirl

Next year, my boys will be 6th and 7th graders. We aren't learning a second language at this time...tried Spanish about 3 years ago but with only a one hour lesson a week with an instuctor, we didn't enjoy it.

My question is this....if we need to learn Latin...what is the most fail-proof, easy to teach/learn curriculum to use? Also, is there one that is reasonably priced?

Also, can you tell me how many times a week and how many minutes per lesson do you spend?

My question is this....if we need to learn Latin...what is the most fail-proof, easy to teach/learn curriculum to use? Also, is there one that is reasonably priced? Also, can you tell me how many times a week and how many minutes per lesson do you spend?

I'll be the first to vote for Latin Prep. If you'll search the board for that name, you'll find that a lot of us use it and like it. It's simple. The information you need (as a Latin teacher who doesn't know Latin) is provided. You can go slow. You just do the next exercise every day.

My only complaint is that there is no auditory component. (And this is really important to me.) However, they are making a CD *right* now. There's no telling when it will be available. It could be any day now. I just hope it's available before we finish LP1.

There is a LP1, LP2, and LP3. Each level would be approximately a year. You order them from Ray at http://www.horriblebooks.com/. For Level 1, you'll want to get the LP1 book and the answer key to book 1. The workbook and the workbook answer key are optional. You'll want them if you want to slow your study down (by doing more exercises over the same material before going on).

We do a exercise every day. Sometimes this takes just five minutes (so if we're not in a hurry, we do another one). Other exercises could take a half hour. Obviously, learning Latin is going to take a good bit of effort and time regardless of which curriculum you use.

Good luck with your decision and with your study!

I used Latin for Children when my dd was young (8), and after using 2 levels (which we LOVED), we switched to Latin Prep when she turned 10. It's rigorous, with lots and lots of translation work, but it's funny and appeals to her sense of humor.

I use Lively Latin with my son who has some LDs and needs a very gentle and slow-moving program. But my goals are different with the kids--I expecdtmy dd to go on and read original works, but I'm only teaching Latin to my son to help train his brain.

Asking what Latin program one uses is opening a huge can of worms. There are so many out there, and what works for one doesn't always work for another.

That being said, my 11 year old son just started Latin for Children, and we are loving it! I want to move onto Cambridge when we're done - but now after reading the posts above I'll have to check out Latin Prep.

Smiles,

Shalynn

I am a member of the Galore Park's Latin Prep gang. I wholeheartedly recommend this. We used a few things before this and nothing explains Latin as clear as this series, imo. We have used Latin Prep 1 and 2 and even though the work is harder now, we are still loving it. My 9 yr old and my 12 year use it. The 6 year old sees how much fun they have with it that recently he has asked when he will start it.

This post on my blog is a small glimps into the program.

HTHs,