Menu

TWTM home schoolers with more than one child...

Guest jodieanneanton

Guest jodieanneanton

I plan on homeschooling my children and find the Classical approach EXTREMELY appealing. I am almost finished with The Well-Trained mind and finally have that 'This is it!' feeling. My question involves homeschooling multiple children with the Classical Approach described in The Well-Trained Mind.

According to the books recommendation, if one is homeschooling more than one child she should be doing one period of history at a time and each child will work at his/her own level in the trivium. Ok, I thought, that is doable. But since the study of history/lit/science is all connected to that history timeline, would the statement of teaching the same subject to all kids apply in those areas as well? I really like the idea of History linking with literature and science, but am feeling some concerns since we have more than one child and plan on having quite a few more.

What happens when a high school child is learning about the "modern era" earlier than is 'typical' because you are teaching the same topic to all kids simultaneously? How is a high school sophomore, for example, learn physics if s/he has not taken upper level math? How do you classical homeschooling moms deal with two different grade levels? Do you teach one 'era' of history/year to all children? Or, do you just do your best teaching different 'eras' to each child?

Any other tips/advice with regard to hs-ing multiple kids in the Classical approach would be greatly appreciated!!!

TIA!

I don't tie science in with history. DD is a sophomore and we're doing twentieth century this year. She's doing chemistry for science. The literature does tie in though.

We use Tapestry of Grace to put it all together. I also read TWTM and said this is it! But then how to put it together? TOG does it for me. I won't deny it, it's expensive. Right now, with 3 kids at 3 different levels, I'm spending $4-500 a quarter on books for history, lit, church history, art, philosophy. But I also figure that in another year or 2, I won't be spending anything on books. And I know others who use TOG in the area that are very happy to buy my books! So after my youngest uses them, all I have to do is let people know I'm ready to sell.

OK, I got off track of your question. They all are working on the same era of history - twentieth century this year. They are all working at their level - rhetoric, dialectic and grammar. The history, lit, art and church history all tie together. I do science completely separate and tie it to interest (younger grades) or what is normal for the grade.

Does this help enough? Ask more questions if not.

OH and welcome!!

I keep my kids at the same point in the cycle. They are 3 years apart so they use different materials but on the same topic.

I don't plan to HS for high school though. The plan right now is to either send them to a traditional prep school or possibly do Stanford's EPGY Online High School.

We have 5 kids (only 3 of whom are currently "schooling") and follow more of an LCC model than the WTM model. They're similar, but there are a few differences, one of the main ones being that LCC is not literature-based. Our kids are together for history and simply folded in as appropriate. We don't keep them together for science or literature nor do we deliberately tie literature in with history or science.

My best advice is to meet each child where they're at, especially for the core subjects (math, phonics/reading/lit, handwriting/writing). In the early years, especially, I view the content areas as gravy. Not unimportant, mind you, but not as important as having a solid foundation in arithmatic and phonics.

The classical model (whether LCC or WTM or ...) is, I find, teacher intensive, especially in the grammar grades. I think you'll find a rhythm to your days and how your homeschool works will not look like how mine or anyone else's works. With lots of kids all you can do is your best.

FYI in case you're not familiar with abbreviations: LCC is Latin Centered Curriculum by Andrew Campbell. It is a more "traditional" classical education philosophy/model whereas The Well Trained Mind is more neoclassical (i.e., literature based). One is not better than the other, just different emphases. Please feel free to ask me any questions!

I have 4 and I started HSing this year. I have a k, 1st, 3rd and a 5th.

I evaluated where each child is at with the style of learning I wanted them to use. For instance. 5th grader has been in ps all her life as has 3rd. 5th has good grammar but I wanted to start over to fill in gaps I know are there. We do MCT island level for both. A little advanced for 1, a little behind for the other. Same with history, only I do all 4 children. Two basically color and listen, one summarizes and does a narration, and the other does the summary, narration with dd2 and then looks stuff up in the encylopedia and makes a timeline. So most of the stuff is togther except for any extra any must do.

the best advise I can give is to relax. When I panic I seem to get stuff wrong I've found through experience that it sort of just happens. (with lots of work)

Lara