Menu

Need help planning a vegetarian dinner

I come to the Hive for dinner advice yet again. I'm having a dear old friend that I had lost contact with for many years over for dinner. She and her family have become vegetarians since I was close to her and now I don't know what to fix for dinner. I have a number of meatless dishes that I make but most of them use chicken broth so they aren't really vegetarian. I know she eats eggs and milk so I do have some flexibility. I'd like to make them a nice dinner with dessert and everything though.

Can you please suggest cookbooks or recipes that would be good? I'm a fairly experienced cook so I don't mind making something complicated I just need to know where to look for good recipes. Thanks so much!

A theme works well:

Italian: vegetarian lasagna, PW's olive bread, salad, string beans sauteed in olive oil

Mexican: avocado enchiladas, Mexican, rice, beans, chips, salsa

Asian: Stir-fry with tofu and veggies is pretty easy, make rice or quinoa, and vegetable spring rolls

A good vegetarian soup, bread and a hearty salad would be good too.

Some good websites:

http://vegetarian.betterrecipes.com/vegetariandinnerrecipes.html

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes

This is my favorite vegetarian cookbook.

First let me say that she'll be thrilled that you thought of her and that that's better than anything you could cook.

Second, vegetable broth is easy to find; it's in almost every store I've ever been to. Also, the best vegetarian chicken broth I've ever had is called Better than Bouillion. It's delish and available in all the stores here.

Third, some of your favorites (or the ones you're good at) may be easily made vegetarian.

Fourth, www.vegweb.com has good recipes that are rated and reviewed so you know what's really good.

Usually when we have a get together at our house with everyone on dh's side of the family, I make a meat lasagna and a veggie lasagna (SIL is vegetarian). My veggie lasanga has mushrooms & spinach instead of meat.

I've also done wraps...I put out all the ingredients in separate dishes so everyone can make their own wraps. I have stuff for both meat eaters & vegetarians (and anyone interested in eating more veggies & less fat). Soft tortillas, chicken, cheese, fresh spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, carmelized onions, fresh bell peppers, cooked bell peppers, fresh mushrooms, cooked mushrooms, various dressings, etc...

I come to the Hive for dinner advice yet again. I'm having a dear old friend that I had lost contact with for many years over for dinner. She and her family have become vegetarians since I was close to her and now I don't know what to fix for dinner. I have a number of meatless dishes that I make but most of them use chicken broth so they aren't really vegetarian. I know she eats eggs and milk so I do have some flexibility. I'd like to make them a nice dinner with dessert and everything though.

Can you please suggest cookbooks or recipes that would be good? I'm a fairly experienced cook so I don't mind making something complicated I just need to know where to look for good recipes. Thanks so much!

I would just substitute veggie broth for the chicken.