Menu

Need book suggestion for teen boy.

My middle son will be 14 on Christmas. I want to get him a book but am fresh out of ideas. He loved: LOTR trilogy and The Hobbit, the Douglas Adams books (he read them all), and some of our successful RAs the past few years have included Carry On Mr. Bowditch, and Watership Down. So fiction, memoirs, sciencey-type stuff (I just read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks with him). Has anyone read The Gun with their teen boys, or have the boys read it and liked it? I was thinking of that, also because Mr. Chivers' wife posts here sometimes. Suggestions please!

My middle son will be 14 on Christmas. I want to get him a book but am fresh out of ideas. He loved: LOTR trilogy and The Hobbit, the Douglas Adams books (he read them all), and some of our successful RAs the past few years have included Carry On Mr. Bowditch, and Watership Down. So fiction, memoirs, sciencey-type stuff (I just read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks with him). Has anyone read The Gun with their teen boys, or have the boys read it and liked it? I was thinking of that, also because Mr. Chivers' wife posts here sometimes. Suggestions please!

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks would be an excellent read aloud with a teen!

My ds is a bit younger, but his favorite series is LOTR, and he is a huge Star Wars fan. His other top series are Ranger's Apprentice and Pendragon. We are currently reading the second book of The Samurai Series by Dorothy Hoobler; ds enjoys all things samurai.

We had so many great conversations while reading this book! It allowed us to discuss some uncomfortable subjects like STDs in a less "loaded" way-this child has studiously avoided those conversations so we *needed* to have them-plus there is lots of fodder in the book for talking about science ethics, human nature, right and wrong, etc. It was a wonderful book for us.