Menu

Curious--were any of you hs'ing parents homeschooled?

Just for fun... I was curious to know if any of you parents are "returning", or shall we say "continuing" homeschoolers? I was homeschooled my entire life (except for the first couple months of second grade). I am now 26 and looking forward to homeschooling my own (I have an 18 month ds).

Yes, my mom homeschooled my older brother and I. He attended a public school kindergarten when he was 6 years old, and after that my mom decided there was no way he was going back. I loved being homeschooled, but prior to having children, I did not think I could do it myself. How things change once we become a mother :001_wub:

I love homeschooling my own, I want them to have the same cherished childhood that I did.

On a side note, I am also 26 :001_smile:

I wasn't but I think I would have done much better academically if I had been. I'm nearly 40, and back then it just wasn't done in our little community. It's funny but there has been quite an explosion of hsing here -- I moved back to my hometown a couple of years ago -- and many of my classmates have hsed their children from birth.

So, my grandparents (who are more like my parents) had plenty of time to get acclimated to the whole homeschooling thing before dh and I did it. :001_smile:

I don't homeschool at all like my mom did, though (I think she used American School...it was all laid out, and a one-stop-shopping deal) and not for the same reasons (they started in high school, due to some problems with the private school my db attended).

It helps that they understand that it won't ruin anyone, lol.

I was homeschooled 3rd thru 12th. I'm 28. My mom is still homeschooling. I have 1 biological sister and 7 adopted siblings. The youngest is 6. So my mom has a ways to go. My biological sister is 21 and plans to homeschool whenever she gets married and has kids. I have 2 Aunts who are homeschooling and one aunt who used to homeschool. I loved being homeschooled and I'm really enjoying doing prek with my ds4. I also teach homeschool Algebra.

I've enjoyed hearing everyone's different stories. Its so nice to "meet" all of you. :001_smile: My mom is still homeschooling as well--the youngest is 6 :ohmy:...so she has quite a ways to go still. Even though homeschooling is so familiar to me, it can be quite scary when I think about being the one "in charge" now. I'm learning a lot from all of you on these forums already--everyone has a different story and there are so many unique perspectives--I love it.