Menu

Good Texas History books

martinswife

I would like to teach my dds 6 and 8 Texas history. I have no clue where to start searching. Any ideas on curriculum or spine books?

I'd like to give you some ideas, but we just have some cool picture books. Nothing real deep. One is called Texas and the other, The Armadillo from Amarillo.

As I was looking up my books, I found this one which looks good. Its written for 9-12 year olds, so it might be a good read aloud. There are just a ton of books on Texas as I look this up. Have fun!

If you don't mind elementary-level textbooks, there's an old one for Texas history that my girls have enjoyed:

Stories for Young Texans: From Old Lands to New

J. A. Rickard

It has short, well-chosen selections with some interesting discussion questions (among the usual reading comprehension questions). It was very popular in Texas schools once upon a time and is very cheaply found (I can always find a copy at bookfinder.com for under $3).

Mine also loved The Boy in the Alamo and Cynthia Ann Parker: Indian Captive in their younger years.

I've used Joy Dean's products before to do state history. You order some travel brochure catalogs for your state (or now you can use free, online art, too) and cut out those pictures to personalize your notebook. She has several different options for studies. She started out doing books for Abeka years ago and advertises as a "Christian" study, but honestly I don't recall anything really religious in the books....

• 7 months later...

I can't wait to pick some of these up from our library to review! I wanted to do Texas History this year since we are 1) new to homeschooling and 2) new to Texas, and 3) did I mention new to homeschooling?!??!:tongue_smilie: