Menu

Choosing classical literature

Embassy

I am using MCT LA this year for my son and have been having some difficulty finding classics for him to read. It seems as though MCT recommends choosing books that would be difficult or a little above their level to stretch their language arts skills.

How do you know when something is too difficult comprehension wise? He can pretty much read most everything without problem, but he often complains that a classic is boring. In your experience have you found this is because it isn't exciting enough or over your child's head comprehension wise.

Which classics have you tried so far?

What are his interests?

Science is his big love and he spends free time reading science books. He does enjoy fiction too. He really enjoyed Farmer Boy, the Narnia series and liked Wrinkle in Time as well. He didn't complain about those.

This year he has read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and A Christmas Carol. He complained some parts were boring but told me tonight that he would read the books again. For 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea I told him to just skip over any boring parts he found (he liked the dialog the best) and he ended up reading most of the book. He is asking to read War of the Worlds by HG Wells, but I don't know if the content is appropriate for his age.

Science is his big love and he spends free time reading science books. He does enjoy fiction too. He really enjoyed Farmer Boy, the Narnia series and liked Wrinkle in Time as well. He didn't complain about those.

This year he has read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and A Christmas Carol. He complained some parts were boring but told me tonight that he would read the books again. For 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea I told him to just skip over any boring parts he found (he liked the dialog the best) and he ended up reading most of the book. He is asking to read War of the Worlds by HG Wells, but I don't know if the content is appropriate for his age.

There is a big leap from Narnia and Farmer Boy to 20,000 Leagues. I did the same thing with my oldest dd when I gave her Anne of Green Gables. I didn't realize that it was at a much higher level than what she had been reading, maturity wise, because of a slower plot and more description. I try to look at reading lists and see what grade level things are listed at. Sometimes it is because of content, but often they are leveled because of the maturity needed to stick with them. :001_smile: I try to find books with higher level vocabulary (usually older books) no matter what. Some books are gems, though, because the vocabulary is great and challenging, but the story is readable for less seasoned readers. Swiss Family Robinson is one example.

He might like the Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy; they are a middle ground up from Narnia. If he likes Farmer Boy, what about The Sign of the Beaver or Johnny Tremain or Carry On, Mr. Bowditch?

If he liked Wrinkle in Time, he might like The Phantom Tollbooth.

There is a big leap from Narnia and Farmer Boy to 20,000 Leagues. I did the same thing with my oldest dd when I gave her Anne of Green Gables. I didn't realize that it was at a much higher level than what she had been reading, maturity wise, because of a slower plot and more description. I try to look at reading lists and see what grade level things are listed at. Sometimes it is because of content, but often they are leveled because of the maturity needed to stick with them. :001_smile: I try to find books with higher level vocabulary (usually older books) no matter what. Some books are gems, though, because the vocabulary is great and challenging, but the story is readable for less seasoned readers. Swiss Family Robinson is one example.

He might like the Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy; they are a middle ground up from Narnia. If he likes Farmer Boy, what about The Sign of the Beaver or Johnny Tremain or Carry On, Mr. Bowditch?

If he liked Wrinkle in Time, he might like The Phantom Tollbooth.

Ahh, I think you hit the nail on the head. A "slow plot" is what I need to avoid.

I did check out the grade level for 20,000 Leagues and it was 4.7. It didn't seem like other 4th-5th grade level books though.

You have some good suggestions I'll check out. He found the Phantom Tollbooth boring after a little bit although he did like it at first and he did like The Sign of the Beaver.

These are the other ones I had on this years list. I'm thinking a couple of these should be switched:

Alice in Wonderland

The Hobbit

The Pearl

Ben Hur

Uncle Tom's Cabin

Some child do better reading mostly nonfiction, with a few short, but intense lessons on literary analysis thrown in, using poems and short stories.

Have you ever seen the Loeb classics? Little hardcover books. The red are Latin and the Green are Greek. English is on the right page and the classical language is on the left. One of my sons adored them, even at a young age.

With literature we pretty much jumped straight from learning to read, to the Bible and biographies, to the Loeb classics and a few selections from Adult Great Books lists. We never read many full length pieces of fiction for "school". My children read some Star Wars books and such in their free time, and few "classics" especially Dickens, but I didn't assign them.

Ahh, I think you hit the nail on the head. A "slow plot" is what I need to avoid.

I did check out the grade level for 20,000 Leagues and it was 4.7. It didn't seem like other 4th-5th grade level books though.

You have some good suggestions I'll check out. He found the Phantom Tollbooth boring after a little bit although he did like it at first and he did like The Sign of the Beaver.

These are the other ones I had on this years list. I'm thinking a couple of these should be switched:

Alice in Wonderland

The Hobbit

The Pearl

Ben Hur

Uncle Tom's Cabin

I think the last three will likely be above the comprehension level of an 8 yo. My 8 yo ds just finished the LOTR series and Treasure Island, but I don't think I'd give him Uncle Tom's Cabin. :001_smile: Sometimes books are boring because they don't have the life experience or background knowledge to get much out of them.

I noticed with my middle dd that she liked books that had mini-plots rather than one long plot until she was about 8 or 9. She wanted each chapter to be its own little story, instead of having to wait the entire book to see how things concluded. My little guy is less so, but he doesn't like a lot of description. He wants some action. :D

(bolding mine) That choice might appeal to him because of his interest in science. My dd was very interested in the navigation portion of the book. My husband studied Bowditch at the Naval Academy.

BTW, I think the version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea on Scholastic Book Wizard may be an abridged version. Here is a site which lists the original as an 8.1. ;)

Yes, I obtained the grade level from Scholastic Book Wizard. He read the Walter Miller version so it wasn't the abridged one.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm taking note of them. What is the reason that Uncle Tom's Cabin would be inappropriate? I haven't read it, but haven't found content that would be inappropriate for my ds at this point.

It tackles slavery & abuse. Tom is profoundly abused. It would be too difficult for a young child to hear/read. Not only that, but I really feel that some books should be saved for when a child is older so they can appreciate the subject matter.

I'd have him read AT or BELOW his reading level for enjoyment at this age so that he stay in love with reading and have him LISTEN to classics above his level. ;)

Good point. If his only reading was during school I would go that route. He reads for fun all that time. I am using the few classics that I have chosen as an informal way to stretch his language arts skills. I'm reading a list of classics to him as well.

Good point. If his only reading was during school I would go that route. He reads for fun all that time. I am using the few classics that I have chosen as an informal way to stretch his language arts skills. I'm reading a list of classics to him as well.

We did the same thing, and it worked well. We did above reading level for assigned literature, at reading level for free reading (usually, they also chose books above and below that,) and below reading level for non-fiction and informational reading. I think I got that from Ruth Beechick's recommendations?