Menu

Coon Hound Paralysis? Is Soph the Vet still around?

One of Molly's 4-H club member's six year old Sheltie woke up paralyzed from the neck down this morning. All bloodwork, including Lyme, is negative, vitals are normal. Vets are thinking it's something called "Coon Hound Paralysis" but they've only seen one case of it here before.

Any ideas? I've never even heard of this before. (But we dont' have a lot of coon hounds in Connecticut!)

The whole 4-H club was in tears tonight when the little girl came to the meeting and broke the news. We all love Taffy, and the sight of 10 little girls in tears was so sad!

Thanks for any information you might have...

astrid

http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Health-Center/Brain-Spinal-Cord-Nerve-Disorders/Coonhound-Paralysis/Treatment.aspx

I would be wanting to have the vets test for other tick borne diseases as well, not just lyme. It could be a disc injury and radiographs should be done as well. If it is coon hound dx then it is normally treatable but takes a while. I have only seen 3 cases diagnosed in over 12 years of practice. The other concern that I would have would be some sort of clot/ tumor causing the paralysis.

Really, if there vets are stumped they should be contacting one of the larger vet hospitals in their area or having their vets get a 2nd opinion as well, even just through VIN/VSPN.

Hoping things resolve quickly for them!

Really, if there vets are stumped they should be contacting one of the larger vet hospitals in their area or having their vets get a 2nd opinion as well, even just through VIN/VSPN.

Hoping things resolve quickly for them!

:iagree: Very recently someone here had a dog that became suddenly paralyzed (was it Roughcollie?) and the dog was being treated at the local animal hospital. I believe her dog came home in under two weeks. I know it struck me as odd because as much as I think I know about animals, I realize there is just SO much I don't know, and sudden paralysis shocked me.

Hopefully someone else will remember who posted, but if I remember right, they never got a true diagnosis.