Menu

so do I get rid of my rice cooker?

I've been following all of the information on plastics. I have not thrown out my Rubbermaid containers, and I still buy stuff made of plastic, but I don't heat things in plastic and I don't put hot stuff in the plastic containers.

I have a Black and Decker Rice/Vegetable steamer. The basket is clear plastic, the rice bowl is not.

Anyone know if this is "safe"? What is everyone else doing about their plastic cooking things?

I must live in a vacuum. Clearly I haven't paid much attention to the whole plastic thing, because I am beyond clueless as to why you're even asking this.

I just bought a rice cooker. It has a plastic thingie. I have every intention of using it. I also plan to keep every single piece of Tupperware I own.

Is the rice cooker you are referring to for the microwave? My rice cooker plugs in like a crock-pot and cooks perfect rice every time in less than 20 minutes. There is no plastic. I use it at least once a week and think it rates next in line after the crock-pot. I vote to get rid of the plastic one.

it is a plug in, but it is made of plastic. Black and Decker make rice cookers with non-stick pots as well.

I just got the steamer for Christmas. I never wanted one, I make rice in a regular pot, and I own a steel steamer basket. But I admit, I like it. I can put it on and forget about it.

I haven't gotten rid of my other plastics, but cooking in this is what bothers me. When I asked my mom, she said that she is too old to worry about it. She doesn't care if it will affect her in 20 years :001_smile:.

I have young kids, so I do care.

I must live in a vacuum. Clearly I haven't paid much attention to the whole plastic thing, because I am beyond clueless as to why you're even asking this.

I just bought a rice cooker. It has a plastic thingie. I have every intention of using it. I also plan to keep every single piece of Tupperware I own.

But I guess I live in that vacuum too. And I also plan to keep all my Tupperware, and might even buy more. :D

But I guess I live in that vacuum too. And I also plan to keep all my Tupperware, and might even buy more. :D/quote]

I have an idea...we could offer to adopt all the Tupperware that others are getting rid of. Whaddaya think?:D

Count me in! I have Rubbermaid lids with no bottoms and bottoms with no lids. I'm afraid to throw any of it out, because I just know that as soon as I do, I'll find the missing piece.

Barb