Menu

State Study ideas needed!

robsiew

We are just going into SOTW3. I have an idea to have the kids make a state booklet, studying a little about each state as it comes into the union. I don't want to make it real complicated as it will be in addition to all the history and geography we already do. I just thought it would be a good way to learn more about the states. So I'm probably looking for something that has one page or so on each state.

Any ideas? Of course, a free resource would be wonderful, but I'm willing to purchase something if needed... I have 4 children so I'd like it to be reproducible so each child can make one.

Thanks for any ideas you have!

I second the Enchanted Learning recommendation. Around June, the amity mamas board funds a membership together - last year my share was $2.50, and it gives me a year of unlimited access to the site. Also, Crayola has state fact pages to print, free.

State postcard swaps are good too - we're participating in one right now! Just go to yahoo groups and search for postcard kids.

We are using Geography of the 50 States, available at http://www.statehistory.net/. We are thoroughly enjoying it and are combining it with 50 States Under God to cover each state's history. I am using these with ages 15, 12, and 9. There is also an edition available for young learners (age 3 to grade 3). These are great help in building a US notebook keepsake. The information is more than state bird, flag, motto; neither is it extremely broad with too many tiny details; it is just right in our opinion. It is nice to have something that is complete enough that I don't feel like I have to pick and choose from several resources to cover the subject. I do that in enough other areas that a truly open-and-go manual is appreciated.

Mrs. Hearts

Thanks guys! I'm going to check these things out. I do have an Enchanted Learning membership so I'll take a look there. I kind of forget about that sometimes!

Financially a post-card exchange is a bit out of our price range. It sounds like a great idea, but it does add up $$$ wise!

Also I haven't looked at any of the links on this page so I don't know what they entail but here's a link to a site that is a "virtual field trip for the 50 states"... then it's broken down by state and each state has a few links (which I haven't checked out) so you might want to see if this is anything useful:

http://ces.nwasco.k12.or.us/staff/lhughitt/5thgr/50states/Vfieldtrips.htm

Our state study notebooking pages/plans are at the ES yahoo group under the other homeschooling help file. Also I would check out www.jimmiescollage.com. Hope that helps :).

Paige,

You are a never ending fountain of help! Thanks so much! These are perfect! I need to learn to look in that file section before asking for anything! :001_smile:

Also I haven't looked at any of the links on this page so I don't know what they entail but here's a link to a site that is a "virtual field trip for the 50 states"... then it's broken down by state and each state has a few links (which I haven't checked out) so you might want to see if this is anything useful:

http://ces.nwasco.k12.or.us/staff/lhughitt/5thgr/50states/Vfieldtrips.htm

This looks great! I haven't looked through the entire thing, but will bookmark it to research it. Thanks!