Menu

Have you used Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization?

CandaceC

I searched here and do see there are those of you who enjoy this resource. :)

I am wondering, what all does the book include? I looked at the sample - is the whole book to the parent? Are there student pages and if so, what do they contain? Is this one book for all 4 levels??

thanks!!

The book has all 4 levels in it--all of the poems plus a little about the authors of the poems, and a schedule of how often to recite them. I think it also has a little author's note telling about the curricula. It's a fairly slim book, but it's awesome! We have the audio CD's that go along with it and those are invaluable IMO.

And no, it's not written to the students necessarily. I go online and do a search for the poem, copy and paste it into a Word doc and print one for each child. Then I have them illustrate each one as we do it and put them into a three ring binder with page protectors. We've got a couple years worth done now and it's really fun to look back on all of the poems we know along with the kids' illustrations.

I am wondering, what all does the book include? I looked at the sample - is the whole book to the parent? Are there student pages and if so, what do they contain? Is this one book for all 4 levels??
The book and CD are all there is. The book has a long-ish essay about memorization in general, its importance and a system of how to implement it (I don't use his system, although it seems easy enough to implement). Then, the book has poems for 3 levels and suggestions of other (longer) pieces for the fourth level (as I recall). There are no student pages, there is no writing.

I love this program, it is so easy to do. We do it almost completely orally (including with my readers) during our Circle Time. Sometimes we play the CD, but more often than not, I just read the poem and they repeat back to me. We tend to work on a stanza per week with the older 2 and my littlest one works until she can say it clearly and completely.

Thanks, ladies!

Carrie, I love your idea of printing off the poems for the kids to illustrate!! Thanks for sharing!

So, for those of you who have followed his memorization plan (as to reciting daily, etc.) how many poems can your child recite after having used the program for a period of time??

That is my biggest struggle with memorization...we do great at memorizing the poem or scripture, but have a harder time remembering to practice the OLDER ones we already memorized.

Thanks again for sharing your experience! I love the idea of having the CD, because I like to use travel time (to church, piano lessons, etc.) as educational time quite often. :)

This is our second year using the program and my children are just beginning level 3. I think it is wondeful. The poems are highly interesting to my children and very enjoyable. They are both very proud of being able to recite them and my parents greatly enjoy listening to them.

Lisa

So, for those of you who have followed his memorization plan (as to reciting daily, etc.) how many poems can your child recite after having used the program for a period of time??

This is dd's second year of actually using it (I admit, we had it for about a year before that), so approximately 18 months. She can recite all of the poems in Levels 1 & 2! We aren't starting Level 3 until after our Christmas break.

Ds started this year (after hearing dd recite in the car all last year, I should add), and has finished Level 1. We'll probably concentrate on other memory work for him the rest of this year and pick up Level 2 at the beginning of 2011-2012 (which is first grade for him).

My oldest, especially, is a highly auditory learner. I literally don't think I could read the poem aloud enough times given all the other reading and teaching I do. The CDs are invaluable, IMO. Sometimes they have listened to a poem 5-10 times in one day. My minimum is 3x day for a brand-new poem.

I can't recommend this program enough, and I say that as someone who isn't a fan of other IEW products!

it sounds like you need to add a daily memory review into your schedule. there was a thread recently on it. Have you seen this? I like it bc/ it is full page. Index cards don't allow for long memory pieces. Simplycharlottemason has a system too. That said, we love Pudewa's book. We did it all last year and it was great. We used it as a springboard this year to even add in some fun things we wanted to learn, like Love Came Down at Christmas as well as In the Bleak Midwinter. HTH! http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B2uLJHGaFdQ9OGRhNTBhNmItNWVlMS00YTE4LTk5OTktOTNiMTI1MTQ1OGMw&hl=en Mnemosyne memory work system.