Menu

KitchenAid mixer/attachments questions

My husband really wanted new clubs this year and got them. We decided it would be his Christmas gift this year. But, when we decided that, we also decided that I'd get my own thing. It seemed like a good idea at the time but i'm having a hard time deciding. I know, what a problem!

So, I'm thinking about getting a KitchenAid mixer with the pasta attachment.

Do you really use yours? Is it a stinker to clean? Does the bowl fit in the dishwasher? Was it worth it?

My electric hand mixer finally bit the dust so I need something and I've always wanted a pasta machine. But, it wouldn't be the first thing I always wanted and then never used . . . if it turned out that way.

hmmm?

I use my mixer about 5 times a week!!!! I rarely even bring out the hand mixer. My bowl fits in the dishwasher just fine, but I usually hand wash it.

Get the biggest, most powerful one you can afford. If you are a baker you will never regret going a KA!

ETA: I don't have any attachments because I have a grain mill. I wouldn't mind having the pasta attachment, though.

Definitely!!!!! I love mine more than my luggage!!!

I, personally, went for the shredder attachment as I get a lot of use out of it for shredding cheese and veggies. I don't use my food processor anymore (and am thinking of getting rid of it now as I have a mandolin and a mini-chopper for things like nuts, etc).

The bowl does fit into the dishwasher, it's not hard to clean (though I don't know anything about the pasta attachment). I ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ my KA!

I love mine for big baking jobs like at the holidays.

I don't have the pasta attachment (or maybe I do...my hubby got it for me with all the attachments he could find one Christmas..before kids...when we had $$$ still :D), but I use the grinder attachment for grinding meat, make cranberry sauce, etc. fairly regularly and have never had a problem with cleaning. Granted, you do have to take it all apart which takes a bit of time, but it's not a big deal at all.

I love my KA. I'd suggest the one with the arm that raises and lowers, not the one with the tip-up motor, if you can afford it. Having the lift arm make is much easier to use, and avoids bumping the upper cabinet when you remove the bowl.

I use my KA mixer all. the. time., b/c we make gluten-free bread, desserts, etc., for ds and dh. I don't have the pasta attachment, but my mom does, and she seems to like it.

The bowl fits in the d/w easily and is a cinch to clean by hand when necessary.

KitchenAid has some rebates on the mixers through the end of the month, there are specials here: http://shopkitchenaid.com/product_detail.asp?HDR=standmixers&T1=KTA+KV25G0XBU and factory-refurbished models for amazing prices here: http://shopkitchenaid.com/product_list.asp?SKW=KTAFACTSTAND&HDR=outlet.

HIH,

Lisa

HIH,

Lisa

I think the mixer is a great idea, and like the others, I love mine!

The pasta attachment kit is great if you use it. It's fairly pricey, so unless you make a lot of pasta, it may not be worth getting it. It works very well, but I rarely use mine. I also don't think it's better than my trusty old Italian pasta maker -- I have a motorized one and a hand-crank one, and I actually prefer the hand crank. (And I'm not one to shun convenience!)

But... the novelty wore off and I'm back to buying pasta at the store. The homemade is better, but is messy and time-consuming.

So, basically, I recommend getting the attachment if you're sure you'll use it quite a bit.

Cat

I have the smaller, tilt-back mixer - it was a gift from a friend. I love it! DH bought me the grinder attachment last month for my birthday, and although I've only gotten to use it a few times, it is great so far. I don't have the pasta attachment, so can't comment. There are different size bowls you can get. And there are demo videos for the various attachments on youtube.

• 3 months later...
Guest granby

I have the pasta extruder (KPEXTA) which I was worried about because some people have problems. I think its great- as long as you have familiarity with making pasta. I highly recommend it for anyaone who is wondering (as I was.) I have pasta roller set too which also works wonderfully for me.

I :001_wub: my KA & my pasta attachment. But more than the pasta attachment, I use the grinder attachment. (I end up using my hand twist spritz-cookie-esque pasta maker [no clue what it's really called- I inherited it from my mom] the most & I have the KA attachment & another table-anchored pasta maker.)