Menu

Is it ok to do cardio and weights back to back?

We just joined a gym and I'm doign great with my cardio. I'm up to 45 minutes on the bike, resistance level 3 (believe me, I'm coming from Couch Potato status). I just had a free trainer consultation and she started me on weights and showed me how to do all that stuff.

Now, my question is, can I do 45 minutes on the bike, and then go do weights? Obviously, my time is limited as a homeschooler with a 9 & 6 yr old. I can't get to the gym every day to alternate the days, but I could go M, W, F and do both back to back. if that would work?

TIA!

We just joined a gym and I'm doign great with my cardio. I'm up to 45 minutes on the bike, resistance level 3 (believe me, I'm coming from Couch Potato status). I just had a free trainer consultation and she started me on weights and showed me how to do all that stuff.

Now, my question is, can I do 45 minutes on the bike, and then go do weights? Obviously, my time is limited as a homeschooler with a 9 & 6 yr old. I can't get to the gym every day to alternate the days, but I could go M, W, F and do both back to back. if that would work?

TIA!

Most definitely, yes, if you are fit enough to do it. The main caution regarding weights is to be sure you allow yourself enough recovery time (for me it's now at least 2 days rest, but I'm getting old (!) it used to be 1 day rest was enough).

I would consider backing down resistance on bike and just go for spin time to elevate your heartrate to target range, and not worry about building up leg strength with bike resistance...you can accomplish that with weights. Just a thought.

When I was young (college) I used to go for a run (5-15 miles) and then immediately hit the gym for some weights, with already-warmed up muscles...saved some time and worked fine...never had any trouble with injury doing that.

Good luck!

TIA!

Yep. But I suggest you supplement with a snack or recovery drink during your workouts because it's a long haul for you. You might bonk during your weight training routine.

You should do weights before cardio if you do both on the same day. If you do cardio first, you will not be able to do as well with the weights because you'll be tired. If you do weights first, the cardio after will help you stretch and work out the muscles. You shouldn't do a hard weights workout every day and it's not going to do you much good to do low weights even if it is every day.

I always do it back to back~as to the order you do it, you may want to play around with it.

For instance, if I do my cardio first, I am energized and can tackle weights and get a good workout.

My brother, otoh, has to get weights out of the way first or he won't do them~he'll do his cardio and go home.

Thanks! I was really hoping I could. Cuz with kids, as you all know, it can be IMPOSSIBLE to get to the gym 6X week. I'm hoping for a MWF schedule after Christmas. Right now, I'm getting there when I can, as long as I have 1 day rest in between.

I do about 20 minutes of cardio on an eliptical machine, and then another 25 minutes of weights 3 days a week....

Works well for me. I don't think you need to do a full 45 on the bike on the days you do weights.

I agree. I don't think it is bad to do a short cardio warm up but a really hard cardio workout wouldn't set you up for a good workout with weights.