Menu

Calling Dr. HIVE: Perimenopause?? (OR) Anxiety??

Hi All,

Asking for those who have gone thru "the change" -- ;).

Obviously, I am in the beginning stages of periomenopause. But a few things are occurring that makes me go, "Hmmmm?" -- please chime in to help me figure these symptoms out.

- Hot Flashes. Yup, normal. But when I get a hot flash (on occassion), if I am lying down on my back, I tend to feel anxious, hard to breathe, and it feels like a panic attack. Happened 2x (and this has never happened to me before) this month. One time was after an echocardiogram stress test. I flipped over from my left side to flat on my back. The tech left the room and while she was gone -- panic attack/overheating feeling overtook me -- she came back and I told her what happened. BTW, the cardiologist is finding my heart is in good shape, HDL is good, cholesterol great and low blood pressure. But that was weird. I deal with anxiety but never like this?

- Mood Swings. Yes, I know this occurs. But long before my period comes in -- like 2 weeks early? I am WAY crabbier and get upset easily more so than usual. :glare:

I take magnesium and yes I feel anxious when having a hot flash. I wake up in the night panicked and then the heat starts. And then I could never get back to sleep. I finally talked to my doctor and took low doses of hormones for a couple of years. It still happens but not so bad. Good luck sorting things out.

I take magnesium and yes I feel anxious when having a hot flash. I wake up in the night panicked and then the heat starts. And then I could never get back to sleep. I finally talked to my doctor and took low doses of hormones for a couple of years. It still happens but not so bad. Good luck sorting things out.

You hit the nail on the head with symptoms.

I feel uneasy (which is not normal) and overheated (also not normal -- I tend to run cold at night) at first -- then panic sets in. Then it is gone. I guess I have to consider low doses of hormones. What kind helps? (This is all new for me... :confused:)

Thanks in Advance!

Mary Shomon has a book titled The Menopause Thyroid Solution: Overcome Menopause by Solving Your Hidden Thyroid Problems. I just finished the chapter in which she describes menopause and the many symptoms/possible causes of it. What you're describing fits with her explaination. She also says that many of the symptoms we attribute to menopause can also be caused by thyroid problems. Perhaps the book might be available at the library?

- Mood Swings. Yes, I know this occurs. But long before my period comes in -- like 2 weeks early? I am WAY crabbier and get upset easily more so than usual. :glare:

Not sure if this fits, but I went to my dr for similar symptoms (hot flashes, crazy mood swings) and she said that I have premenstrual dysphoric disorder or PMDD. It took my DH pointing out to me that I am a real witch leading up to my cycle, but once my cycle hits and until ovulation, I am super nice and sweet. Then I ovulate and turn back into a witch. I thought I was going crazy, going through very early menopause (I'm only 31). I had the dr run tests to see if my hormones and thyroid were okay. Now that I know what is going on and am taking meds during the second half of my cycle, life is so much better.

Mary Shomon has a book titled The Menopause Thyroid Solution: Overcome Menopause by Solving Your Hidden Thyroid Problems. I just finished the chapter in which she describes menopause and the many symptoms/possible causes of it. What you're describing fits with her explaination. She also says that many of the symptoms we attribute to menopause can also be caused by thyroid problems. Perhaps the book might be available at the library?

Oooh. Good advice -- will look for it! Just had thyroids checked and they were at normal levels. So were hormone levels. But the book sounds interesting. Thanks!

Not sure if this fits, but I went to my dr for similar symptoms (hot flashes, crazy mood swings) and she said that I have premenstrual dysphoric disorder or PMDD. It took my DH pointing out to me that I am a real witch leading up to my cycle, but once my cycle hits and until ovulation, I am super nice and sweet. Then I ovulate and turn back into a witch. I thought I was going crazy, going through very early menopause (I'm only 31). I had the dr run tests to see if my hormones and thyroid were okay. Now that I know what is going on and am taking meds during the second half of my cycle, life is so much better.

HOOOOO BOY. This sounds like me? :confused: But instead of the daily witchy behavior -- the grumpy/moody/witch is appearing now and then. I also cry over stupid stuff. I've NEVER behaved like this. Auuuugh.

ETA: I've begun looking into herbals -- the primrose oil, black cohash tea, etc. Do they work?

Edited by tex-mex

HOOOOO BOY. This sounds like me? :confused: But instead of the daily witchy behavior -- the grumpy/moody/witch is appearing now and then. I also cry over stupid stuff. I've NEVER behaved like this. Auuuugh.

ETA: I've begun looking into herbals -- the primrose oil, black cohash tea, etc. Do they work?

If you don't think you're heading into the change, I'd check into PMDD too. That was my first thought when I first read your post. I used to get so angry, frustrated, "moody" didn't describe it and it was affecting home. I don't recall the hot flashes so much, although thinking now, I had them too and the crying. I knew I needed help when I was trying to do all I could to not cry while walking down the street.:grouphug:

I find evening primrose oil helps me when I'm feeling either anxious or witchy. I take one capsule when needed and it seems to help me feel more normal. Be sure to take it with something in your stomach or you'll be burping oiling tasting stuff for awhile.:001_smile:

I find evening primrose oil helps me when I'm feeling either anxious or witchy. I take one capsule when needed and it seems to help me feel more normal. Be sure to take it with something in your stomach or you'll be burping oiling tasting stuff for awhile.:001_smile:

Awesome!

Does a regular grocery store carry the primrose oil? I'm thinking of going to a GNC or Health Food Store. Eeep.

Awesome!

Does a regular grocery store carry the primrose oil? I'm thinking of going to a GNC or Health Food Store. Eeep.

I got mine at a health foods store. I would think GNC should carry it. Mary Shomon's book mentions something about it imitating estrogen. That may not be exactly what she says, but I think it's something close. I can look it up for you if you'd like. I read it just yesterday or the day before.