Menu

Request for info from college

Beebalm

Yesterday my dd received an email from a college saying it had 'received her homeschool transcript' and needed additional info. It then listed homeschool accreditation, umbrella school, religious affiliation. When my dd showed it to me, I thought it was unusual for a college to request information from a STUDENT about their TRANSCRIPT, rather than the contact person shown on the transcript (school counselor..me). (I can see them asking a student about the APPLICATION, but the student has no authority to input information about their transcript, right? I called, got the admissions director (from which the email came) and told her we were independent of any umbrella school and that our homeschool classes were not accredited. She tersely said, "well, just send me an email telling me that". The only reason my dd applied there was because she had received a letter offering her full tuition, room, board, and other perks if she advanced to national merit finalist, and I urged her to apply. BTW, she's already been admitted to three other colleges so far with no questions and greeted with much enthusiasm. What's the deal? Anyone else have this happen? My dd has handled all contact with colleges, this was my first call and I was shocked at the rudeness. Am I being naive or overly sensitive?

My guess is that this is a college located in a more regulated state that might not have students regularly apply from less regulated states. If it's a school that interests you (or your daughter), I'd send the e-mail and mention in it that you are homeschooling in accordance with your state's regulations (which don't require umbrella schools and similar). If the other colleges are of more interest, I'd probably let it drop (mainly because I can be lazy and feel it's not worth my time). I don't think you should be insulted by it. It's probably just lack of knowledge.

My daughter received a nearly identical information request. I'm pretty sure I know which college you're referring to (large state school in the South, right?).

My guess is that this particular state has homeschooling rules that assume and/or require an affiliation. We just sent a very brief informational e-mail stating that we did not operate under an umbrella school, etc.

The rest of the admissions process has been delightful and friendly. They invited my daughter to a scholars weekend in January and just awarded her a 2/3rd merit scholarship.

HTH . . .

Yes, you guessed it, Lynn. It helps to know we aren't the only ones. The person being so terse was disconcerting...perhaps I'm already on the defensive. I always let my ddd handle everything because I don't want her to be labeled as a student with one of 'those' parents. Like I said, I wouldn't have called myself but it asked for transcript info which I considered the 'counselor' terrritory. I'm glad I WAS the one who called....the tone would have really turned my dd off. Maybe the person was just swamped. I notice the deadline was extended.

Thanks for your responses.

I ran into that with one school, too. It just depends on who's reading the info and how they interpret it. Despite the fact that my son was in a private school for his sophomore through senior years, the school was trying to tell me that he had to take all sorts of CLEP tests, etc. When I questioned them, they backed off, then wait listed him. Weird, but he wasn't really seriously considering them, anyway....

Oh, and the reason he applied in the first place is because they sent him an "express" early admission app and begged him to apply.... Then they deferred admission until the spring....

Since the only state I know about with mandatory umbrella school things is ALabama, are you all talking about U of Alabama? Because my daughter was accepted there with no difficulties at all.

If so, my guy will likely be applying there as a financial safety next year... so I'll be taking my own advice if the issue comes up. :tongue_smilie: