Menu

What kind of wheat kernels to buy?

I have a Nutrimill grinder that I have not been using, and it's time to start.

I have been making bread each week using Gold Medal unbleached white flour.

#1 - What wheat would be comparable to Gold Medal unbleached white? (I think this would still work with the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes recipes)

#2 - What other wheat do you use that you have had success with?

TIA

I really like the Golden 86 or Prairie Gold. I've purchased them from both Walton Feed and Wheat Montana, but when I just made my last purchase (a month ago?), Walton was out of stock on it. I haven't done a lot of comparison w/ any other type of wheat - this one has worked out very well and we like it, so have stuck with it.

I really like the Golden 86 or Prairie Gold. I've purchased them from both Walton Feed and Wheat Montana, but when I just made my last purchase (a month ago?), Walton was out of stock on it. I haven't done a lot of comparison w/ any other type of wheat - this one has worked out very well and we like it, so have stuck with it.

Is this hard white wheat?

I've been told that the Prairie Gold is the best, but I have to drive about 40 minutes to buy it. My local grocery store now sells organic whole wheat kernels and I've been buying it. It's not Prairie Gold, but tastes just fine in our breads!

the choices are hard red winter wheat (for bread) and soft white spring wheat (for pastries).

The real distinction is whether you are going to use yeast (bread) or baking powder (pastry).

I generally use hard red for virtually everything -- even cookies, coffee cakes, etc. I usually only use the soft white for fine cakes or maybe biscuits, etc. I get so many comments that my cookies are unbelievably delicious and truthfully I can only attribute to the freshly ground whole wheat flour.

Hard White wheat (same as prairie gold or gold 86 but sometimes called sometimes called something else) works very well in bread. I use it and it will make a nice white whole wheat loaf that is not too dense- as long as you let it rise at least twice and don't over-rise. I have even made a decent sourdough (first try) with it- a little denser than I wanted but I had never made sourdough and I have learned a few more things since.

I also use hard red for the whole wheat flavor. Soft white is for pastries and cakes but I usually end up using my hard white for everything.

I buy mine from Azure Standard as well.

Dana, Where are you in Oregon? We are in Central Oregon (Bend/Sisters area) and buy our wheat berries through a co-op called Azure out of Dufur (up by The Dalles). We get their hard red and soft white and it's really pretty cheap AND we love it. If you are interested, their website is www.Azurestandard.com.

We occasionally get out of town and trek to Portland or the coast, so that would take us by Dufur (love that name, LOL). I'm trying to find a more local source and I think I've tracked down a place in La Grande where I can get some. Thanks for the link, it sounds like it would be worth it to buy in bulk.

I generally use hard red for virtually everything -- even cookies, coffee cakes, etc. I usually only use the soft white for fine cakes or maybe biscuits, etc. I get so many comments that my cookies are unbelievably delicious and truthfully I can only attribute to the freshly ground whole wheat flour.

I use hard red for everything also. I haven't noticed much difference.

Is there anywhere on the EAST coast that sells the stuff? I couldn't find shipping costs on that website (Walton), just a reference to UPS, but it can't be cost effective for me.

And how much do you use, really? Dc are bigger now so what they ate 10 years ago isn't a good indicator.

I am in Virginia and I buy from a food distributor out of PA. They make runs once a month and delivery is $3 for a group minimum purchase ($350 here).

Hard White wheat (same as prairie gold or gold 86 but sometimes called sometimes called something else) works very well in bread.

I usually end up using my hard white for everything.

:iagree: We really like the hard white wheat too. I've heard it has a milder wheat taste than the hard red.