Menu

Expired pantry items. Use or toss?

Yes for both. Life in Africa taught me that expiry dates are often (not always) just suggestions. imo, the cake mix is more likely to go rancid (from the fat content) than the dry milk, which can last an extraordinarily long time. Either should be good at least a year past the date on the package, unless you stored them in a shed outdoors and they suffered extreme temperature changes.

Meat, not so much. And medicine loses 10% of its efficacy by it's expiry date. :)

FWIW,

Susan

Thanks for the help ladies.

The powdered milk got tossed. A full box wouldn't get used up that fast, and it's already just *so* old. I know nothing about powdered milk, so I figured I would ask.

Rosie, while I think the playdough idea sounds really neat, my kids are too old. Once upon a time, though, that would have been a bit hit. Neither child ever liked to color or draw, but they both LOVED playdough!

I haven't looked at the cake mix yet. If I'm feeling brave, I may use it, but I'm thinking I'll toss it. Bummer.... it is a chocolate cake mix, too. It feels wrong not only because it's wasteful, but it's chocolate. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks again!