Menu

Hands-On Phonics Instruction?

Soror

Please, help me- I have tried to search any combo of words I can think of but am coming up with nothing! I have had someone email wanting a rec for a hands-on phonics program- akin to Right Start Math- any suggestions? I was sure I had seen some threads in the past on this. I just use I See Sam with my son, which certainly isn't hands-on, although it works for us and being this is my first I don't have much experience with other programs.

many thanks in advance!

Go Phonics is expensive but would be hands on I believe (and complete).

Sensational Strategies is multi-sensory. I think Tina used it to start at least and here is her blog entry about how it might look.

I did something very much like that and hands on on my own though for almost nothing cost wise. I used these fantastic multi-sensory phonics program materials as a guide and, obviously, they are free. I got a cross stitch mats for under $2 at Walmart and used salt in a pie plate. The lessons are complete, hands on, and very good.

I added materials I found online for specific phonograms as well. I linked some of them here. I linked free game boards and hands on idea links and more on these pages.

So I guess I'm saying you can purchase hands on phonics and you can make your own as well. But yes you can do it hands on!

My DDs are very hands-on. We use the games from Rocket Phonics.

Here is a video of the go fish game that my girls LOVE. My 4yr old begs me to play everyday.

http://www.rocketphonics.com/

I'm ADHD/dyslexic and suspect my 6yr old is too. My girls really like the hands-on activites of this program, but DD doesn't like the text readings. We just skip the reading only pages. We use OPGTR for our plain text reading. The bingo and go fish games you could make yourself and laminate.

Recipe for Reading has some OG strategies that are hands on, it's $25.

http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/details.cfm?seriesonly=491M

Mona McNee just updated her free copy of her program, it is fairly hands on with a lot of free games. She's 87 and just e-mailed me to let me know!

http://www.phonics4free.org/phonics-repository/worksheet-repository#TOC-GAMES-AND-WORKSHEETS

The main website is phonics4free.org, the above link should get you to the games for lesson 1.

I also have a fun free game.

Right Track Reading show you how to make your own tiles, this is fairly hands on and perhaps closer to RS than the others.

There is also Sing, Spell, Read, Write and the free Pollard books, I recommend the "First Book for Little Folk," it's easiest to use. (Linked halfway down my spelling and phonics book page.)

Edited by ElizabethB

Happy Phonics is just a set of games that should take you all the way or most of the way through a solid foundation, from what I understand. I've been eyeballing it for over a year. lol

Happy Phonics is lots of fun, and probably qualifies as "hands-on" because everything you do is presented as a game. It's definitely a gentle way of learning, and great for the very young reader. I do find that it's not quite as good at telling the teacher what to do, as far as when to introduce what blends, and we've needed more practice than what the included games provide. This may be because when we began he was a very young reader, so while I felt that if he'd learned all the letters it seemed like a good time to show him what's next, I also felt like pushing was a poor idea. We stayed at CVC words for a very long time. Now he seems ready to pick up the pace a bit. When we needed extra practice, or a game got stale, I'd either simply expand what HP includes (new word lists, mostly), or I'd add a folder game.

Recently, I got a copy of OPGTR, and I'm much happier using them together: I feel like OPGTR is for ME, and Monkey uses HP, or something in a HP style. This way, I know that phonics (which is new to me) is being done systematically, and in an orderly, complete fashion. I use OPGTR to give more structure to HP, if that makes sense.

I haven't seen this mentioned on the board before, but maybe it has been. My youngest took a class through our co-op that utilized secret stories phonics, and she loved it. That class ended 6-7 months ago, and just yesterday she brought up one of the "secrets." If I was struggling with

her reading, or had a child who didn't enjoy learning how to read, I'd seriously consider buying this product.

http://thesecretstories.com/about/