Menu

Roman Literature

We are studying ancients this year. We are going to spend a few more weeks on Greece and have covered the Iliad, Odyssey, Herodotus' Histories, a variety of Greek tragedy. If time permits, we will also read some Plato.

We won't have too much time to spend on Roman literature- I estimate about 10-12 weeks. What are the must-reads?

I have already decided that we are going to study Vergil's Aeneid in detail (including Dr. Vandiver's lectures). I had thought to cover Ovid's Metamorphoses as well.

What else? I'd love to do Plutarch, but heard it is a bit tedious.

Marcus Aurelius Meditations?

Thanks. It's so hard to realize that there is no way we can read everything that sounded interesting... otherwise we will never get out of the ancient time period.

I see that you have an 11 and 13 yo. I'm just curious, how much time do they spend reading? We've read Gilgamesh, skipped the Iliad, enjoyed the Odyssey, but Herodotus is killing my 15,13, and 11yo boys! We're planning a little Plutarch with Omnibus as a guide.

For Rome we're planning on Livy's History of Rome, Shakespeare's Caesar, and some of Josephus, then on to either Confessions or City of God.

I see that you have an 11 and 13 yo. I'm just curious, how much time do they spend reading? We've read Gilgamesh, skipped the Iliad, enjoyed the Odyssey, but Herodotus is killing my 15,13, and 11yo boys!

I am doing Ancient history with my 13 y/o only, my 11 y/o would not be able to handle this kind of literature yet.

It took her 20+ hours reading time (spread out over the course of six weeks) to read the Herodotus, 15 hours for the Iliad (read in parallel with Herodotus), only about 10 hours for the Odyssee. These are the times for the actual reading only and do not include discussion, listening to lectures, writing essays. We do not outline as I find that it detracts from the poetry and beauty of the works.

She did not manage to read Thukydides because she found it too dry, and I did not insist on it because there is enough other enjoyable literature of the period.

My DD has always been a fast reader (think Harry Potter IV in one day).

Meditations would be high on my list. Perhaps selections from the Enchiridion? My son enjoyed that. Plutarch can be tedious if you try to do too much. Maybe you could select a few of the pairings, or look at those which Shakespeare drew on for his histories?

I've been using Ambleside Online with dd 15 and they recommend one life from Plutarch per term from 7th up. This term has been Caesar, and no, not tedious at all. Dd and I were *rolling* laughing. Yes, I know our sense of humor is not for all, but I think Plutarch has his funny moments. Some of his lines are now part of our family in jokes. Take Plutarch on, you won't regret it.

I thought it was interesting to read a little of Julius Caesar's writing during his Gallic Wars. I think we read Olivia Coolidge's version so it wasn't a heavy-duty study for us, but it fascinated me as a study in historical events, various early European cultures & culture clashes, and self-promotion :)

Julie

My 10th grader's eyes glaze over when we read a lot of ancient literature, so we've reached a compromise:

We read about the ancient authors and we read excerpts of their works, but then we get on to what she really enjoys: historical fiction set in the time period we are studying. This year, we are reading excerpts of the Aeneid, and we will read a few exerpts from other Roman authors, as well as biographical info about Vergil and others. Then we will read Julius Caesar (and watch the movie too). Since we have a 6th grader tagging along as well, we will also read either The Ides of April & its sequel Beyond the Desert Gate by Mary Ray or Detectives in Togas & its sequel The Mystery of the Roman Ransom as read-alouds.