Menu

To mostly wrap up our Roman studies, we're having a feast today. Sadly, no triclinium, but we do have a wonderful dinner laid out.

Appetizers

Bread with feta cheese

Hard boiled eggs

Olives

Main Course

Game hens with honeyed fruit sauce

Salad with vinegar, oil and spice dressing

Dessert

Honey orange cake

Prunes

Dates

About ten more minutes and our hens will be done roasting. I'm off to appetize.

We did a Roman feast when Indy was in 1st grade and it was soooo much fun! We did Egyptian too (James Bond found out that he loves Falafel thanks to that feast). Indy still talks about those. Your menu sounds fab. Hope you guys have a great feast! Are you eating on reclining couches? ;)

I had to draw the line at eating lying down, which was a good thing, since the hens were very sticky.

Everything was tasty and fun, especially the honey cake, which was spicy and sweet.

Yummy!

(except, honestly: I've never had a game hen. What do they taste like? Are they small like Cornish hens? :D:confused:)

Exactly. Cornish game hens. They looked really cool, but they were a little hard to eat with the sticky fruit sauce. I think I might do just thighs if I did it again.

How fun! I've always wanted to do this. We are studying Ancient Rome right now. Maybe I will follow you're lead and stop being so lazy:lol:

I'm really not one to do projects. My radishes always die from neglect and I never did get around to mummifying a chicken. But I can do a pretty good job with food.

Actually, it was more a matter of picking things that were possible than of cooking up anything really complex. The honey bread and the Cornish game hens were the only new recipes. I ended up pulling both of those from a cookbook of recipes for Jewish holidays. I figured that as long as the ingredients were within the possible, that it had a good chance of having maintained some traditional elements that would have dated to the Roman era.