Menu

Prima Latina Question

farmwife

For those of you using Prima Latina or have used it, do I need the flashcards and Audio CD if I am planning on using the DVD? I'm hoping the DVD covers what's on the CD but I just don't know.

Thanks in advance,

fw

dd7, ds5, dd3, dd1

I edited it because of my poor grammer, I'm so glad I'm learning right along with my dd.:001_smile:

My ds (10) uses everything but the flashcards. He enjoys everything about Prima Latina. I've been thinking that I will have the 2 of us make our own flash cards with all the vocab. words....it would be fun.

Thank you for your reply Margarete! What a great idea about making our own flashcards!

~fw

I recommend buying or making your own flashcards. We use them three times a week. It is good for the kids to see the words over and over, and I believe it has helped greatly in their spelling of the latin words. We have the DVD and CD. We use the DVD, of course, but I rarely use the CD. I'm not sure why.

I bought the flashcards because they will be used again in Latina Christiana I. I am a slacker when it comes to making my own flashcards! I use the flashcards regularly with my dc.

We listen to the audio CD in the car when we are out running errands. I think it helps cement the vocab and prayers in the kids' minds. Yes, the audio CD has the lessons and prayers from the DVDs, but the DVDs have a lot of extra teaching that is not on the CD.

My dc like to watch the lessons on the DVDs. I appreciate not having to teach the lessons. :)

I purchased the whole set, but I only used the DVDs and flashcards for PL. I think the flashcards are necessary for any foreign language because they help in vocabulary retention. We reviewed the flashcards daily in the beginning, then I switched to the memory system outlined here: http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/memorysys/

HTH!

You definitely need the flashcards especially if you plan to continue with Latina Christiana. They're worth the money!

If you're choosing between the CD and flashcards, choose the cards. (We used the CD but not nearly as much as I thought we would.)

With very fond memories of Prima Latina,

We watch the DVD, then I give them index cards and they make a flash card for each vocabulary word and the Practical Latin Saying. We review them frequently, sometimes I show them the Latin side and they give the translation and sometimes I show the English side and they give the Latin. We use the CDs every week, too. They are especially helpful in reviewing all the prayers. Plus, it helps make sure we are pronouncing things correctly.

HTH

I used the Teacher's Manual, CD, and the student workbook and my son love it.

I never used the DVD or flashcards. I just had my son learn the lessons as we went. I use to pop the CD into the player at night and let them listen to pronunciations and lessons as they were falling asleep. In the morning, my son would understand the lessons. I don't know.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony