Menu

6th grader, first time homeschooler curriculum help

threelilbirds

Hello!

I am now homeschooling my 3 and 5 year olds, and my 10 year old is in 5th grd PS. Next year he has decided he wants to homeschool! :001_smile:

I am a little nervous, because I am not familiar even myself anymore with 6th grade material! I want something that has great instruction, and lots of supportive materials to help me, as well as him, excel in homeschooling. I had heard that for his age, Oak Meadow was a good Language Arts, History, and Science curriculum, and is based on traditional, classical, and waldorf philosophies. I checked it out, and it looks interesting, and I liked how the lessons are laid out for you very simple and clear, with the option of a teachers manual.

So I was thinking of doing Oak Meadow for Language Arts, History, and Science.

For math, I had shown him a sample of Life of Fred, and he really liked it. Is Life of Fred enough math on its own, or do I need to add more Math?

I was thinking of Artistic Pursuits for Art..

What else would you add in addition to what I already have planned?

FYI, we are part of a charter, so I need to stick with mostly secular material. BUT I would love a reference to a great Bible Study curriculum for his age level!

Thanks for the help!! :bigear:

Edited by threelilbirds

I feel Life of Fred is a complete program on it's own. Some people feel the first two books (Fractions and Decimals & Percents) need supplements. I found them to be perfectly fine on their own. You can find more complete info in this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221957&highlight=Life+Fred

One thing to note, the student should have basic math mastered (and preferably math facts memorized) before starting the Life of Fred books.

Good luck, it is such a fun grade/age level to homeschool!

My two 5th grade kids have done LOF Fractions. They had already had solid exposure to fractions and decimals via MUS before doing LOF so they didn't have too much trouble. I think there were two LOF lessons that had them scratching their heads a bit, but only because they'd forgotten a tad of background. Other than that, they did it independently and finished the book, doing it 2-3 times a week, in about 2 months. I can't say that they loved it, though. More of a "meh" attitude so we are holding off on whether to move on to LOF decimals.

As for the Bible study curriculum, we've used Explorer's Bible Study before and I really thought it was well done. My kids had to read and fully answer questions beyond just filling in the blank. I'd recommend it.

Wanted to give you a little bump, since you didn't get many answers. I have what I would call an advanced 6th grader this year, though we are doing things very light because of vision therapy. It's really not a pat thing to give a curriculum list, so that might be why you didn't get many answers. There are SO many good options! I think though, just looking at the ages you have (and knowing how I feel doing 6th gr with a 2 yo) that you need to be realistic about how much time you want to spend with him and how much you want to farm out. I'd split things up and get practical. You're probably going to spend 2-3 hours with your littles, by the time you do first grade and read alouds and some preschool stuff, go on a nature walk, etc. Is his personality to rise early and go get 'em? That will all affect what you chose. You're figuring out how much together time you'll have and where you'll put it and whether what he does overlaps (say with the read alouds) with the littles. I personally LIKE having read aloud time with my 6th grader and toddler together. I think it pulls the toddler up. I wouldn't hesitate to do that. But the rest of the time, assuming he has no disabilities or issues, may be more of a meeting with you to go over some things and then him working.

We're sort of meh on LoF too. I would give him some math placement tests to know exactly where he's at. They'll give you a feel for a variety of curricula too. Many books can be gotten used on amazon so inexpensively, I personally think it's wise to buy several things to try. Some people would need extra work added onto Fred. Doesn't hurt to try it and see what happens.

On the science, history, etc. just look at all your options. Will the charter pay for online classes? CurrClick has some, as does Veritas Press. Just do some searches on the boards and see what you get. There are even online writing classes for CW, etc.

This year I have my dd doing a workbook on Acts from CLP. It was just enough, includes memory work, not a ton of writing. Next year I'd like to start Balancing the Sword. I also keep thinking we ought to do a One Year Bible reading together sometime.

Do you want history or geography? We're using Around the World in 180 Days this year, and dd enjoys it. It is very open-ended and a good springboard for her. She does it very independently and likes to spend several hours at a time. You could add a simple world history spine like CHOW onto that (not scheduled, just read, discuss, and enjoy), and the following year be ready to start into a more in-depth chronological study.

Hi,

My daughter and I used Oak Meadow for 4th grade, and we are now using it for 5th grade (we're on Week 11). We love Oak Meadow over here, and I'm committed to using it through at least Grade 8 and then I'll look into what their high school is like if we're still homeschooling for high school.

If you're interested, you can read more details about OM and see schedule samples for 5th grade, anyway, along with pictures of some of the things we did, in my blog (see signature line below). Just look on the sidebars to the left for the information you're interested in.

We use Teaching Textbooks for math (although I do think that Life of Fred sounds really interesting and I may buy the first one just to check out for next year, and if my daughter is interested, I may let her do it at her own pace alongside TT next year. It'll be up to her though, I won't 'force' her to do two math programs or anything.

Actually, I WOULD have continued with Oak Meadow's math except that I have an older, used version of the OM curriculum and in my version, it only had its own built in math through 4th grade. Back then, as of 5th grade, it wanted us to switch to Saxon. Well, Saxon looked miserable to me, so I opted for TT instead.

I later found out that more recent/current versions of OM continue to have their own math program even from 5th grade on, though.

Thank you for the responses! I had no idea I was getting any, because i wasnt getting any notifications. Thats fixed now, lol. I am just There are so many options out there and I am not sure what would be the best. We were looking at Moving Beyond the Page one day, and he seemed really fascinated with that, because there is a Unit that covers Force and Power, which is a unit study pertaining to war,world history, force and motion in science, and language arts related to these subjects. He thought that was "cool" because his uncle just left for the army last year, so he is very fascinated. So, that is an option.

I liked the idea of Oak Meadow also, because it started with ancient history, which is what I would be starting my 1st grader in, so I could do history with them at the same time, and my 6th grader would have more in depth study of the time period. Is there another history study guide that goes along with SOTW? But more in depth for older students? That is what I am planning on using for my younger DS.

And thank you for the bible study reference, I will look into it!

MBP is fine, but I'm not sure they have anything for 6th grade? You might try just one book of it and see what happens. You might find yourself liking it a bit but not wanting to do EVERYTHING that way.

Not sure how much kids that far apart will want to combine for history. They might enjoy a common read aloud, but beyond that... Well my dd is very into hands-on, so dragging the younger in for involved dress-up crafts would work.

It sounds like you're finding the things he likes: war, history, hands-on, science, boy stuff. The VP catalog has a ton of terrific extras for boys like that, even if you don't find yourself wanting to use the curriculum. It's a terrific catalog and worth getting. Personally, since it's your first year, I might be inclined to loosen up on the curriculum thing and run a bit more with what he is interested. You could get some really good WW1 or WW2 encyclopedias (the kinds with lots of pictures) and let him read a spread, write a summary or outline, then let him research rabbit trails. He could build things and do projects. Nothing says you have to have curriculum, just a good spine.

I am only vaguely familiar with Oak Meadow, but I believe it takes a lot of teacher/parent time. It might be difficult for you to do this with 2 young ones also.

I like Life of Fred, but we only use it as a supplement. There was a recent post on these forums about using 2 math programs simultaneously, and you might consider that.

You might also consider using the 6th grader to help teach one of the younger ones. That might free you up for the other one. Plus, it has been shown to help both the older child and the younger one. Cross-age tutoring.

I would recommend trying to get things the 6th grader could mostly do independently, although you will need to check up on him. That would free you up to deal with the younger ones. If you try to do too much, you and your child could end up getting burnt-out. Don't want to overdo it or do endless piles of workbooks that your child will get tired of.

If you are Waldorfy, the classical approach or workbooks or read-aloud approach or Charlotte Mason (common types of homeschooling) might not be your style. You need to consider what is your philosophy towards education and also consider your child's style.

No matter what you start with, you can always change it though. You are doing the right thing by researching it and asking questions. If you do some internet research, read some books and talk to some people, I'm sure you can get off to a good start.

I have a 7th grader and she does CLE for math with a little Life of Fred on the side, and Hake (Saxon) Grammar and Writing and Sequential Spelling. Then, we do some social studies and some science on the side sometimes just by reading aloud textbooks and books, and a little Rosetta Stone French. She also reads a lot on her own. But, she mainly does music- plays violin, flute and piano and orchestra and ensembles. And does gymnastics.

I think using a variety of activities and changing them frequently makes things more interesting and enjoyable for us. For example, using some workbooks, some read-alouds, some silent reading, some computer learning, some music, sports, etc. is good, rather than just sticking with one approach. But others have different ideas.

Best wishes to you.

Thanks for the input. I had looked at the samples of Oak Meadow, and they actually didnt seem at all waldorfy, which suprised me, but pleased, because I am not waldorfy. The only thing that is waldorfy about me, is maybe celebrating the seasons, and the crafts, which I love. But I am mostly Charlotte Mason, Classical...:001_smile:

I had heard that Oak Meadow was actually quite controversial with the waldorf community for not being waldorf enough..especially in the later years, which it looked to me, the only thing that may have been done in waldorf style was the Teachers Manual, which looked very optional.

I think we may do Life of Fred and another program, possibly teaching textbooks? I am terrified of teaching math! So I have heard that Teaching Textbooks is a good option for those of us that need mcuh extra help teaching math :scared:.

I am hoping that my older boy will help with the little ones, as I think that would be a great lesson and bonding experience for them :thumbup:.

I am only vaguely familiar with Oak Meadow, but I believe it takes a lot of teacher/parent time. It might be difficult for you to do this with 2 young ones also.

I like Life of Fred, but we only use it as a supplement. There was a recent post on these forums about using 2 math programs simultaneously, and you might consider that.

You might also consider using the 6th grader to help teach one of the younger ones. That might free you up for the other one. Plus, it has been shown to help both the older child and the younger one. Cross-age tutoring.

I would recommend trying to get things the 6th grader could mostly do independently, although you will need to check up on him. That would free you up to deal with the younger ones. If you try to do too much, you and your child could end up getting burnt-out. Don't want to overdo it or do endless piles of workbooks that your child will get tired of.

If you are Waldorfy, the classical approach or workbooks or read-aloud approach or Charlotte Mason (common types of homeschooling) might not be your style. You need to consider what is your philosophy towards education and also consider your child's style.

No matter what you start with, you can always change it though. You are doing the right thing by researching it and asking questions. If you do some internet research, read some books and talk to some people, I'm sure you can get off to a good start.

I have a 7th grader and she does CLE for math with a little Life of Fred on the side, and Hake (Saxon) Grammar and Writing and Sequential Spelling. Then, we do some social studies and some science on the side sometimes just by reading aloud textbooks and books, and a little Rosetta Stone French. She also reads a lot on her own. But, she mainly does music- plays violin, flute and piano and orchestra and ensembles. And does gymnastics.

I think using a variety of activities and changing them frequently makes things more interesting and enjoyable for us. For example, using some workbooks, some read-alouds, some silent reading, some computer learning, some music, sports, etc. is good, rather than just sticking with one approach. But others have different ideas.

Best wishes to you.

Yeah OM is not Waldorf but some of it is Waldorf-inspired, particularly in the earliest years.

I don't know that I'd say it takes "a lot of parent/teacher time"- but I guess this depends on the age of your kids and how much you supplement and so on- OM is actually not overly time consuming...it's not dry/textbookish, there aren't worksheets, there's not a lot of busywork...

...so while there are hands on activities and projects, the kids and I usually enjoy doing them together. I started with my daughter using OM4 and OM5 and while there are things we do together, there are things she can do independently, too.

And so far for 4th and 5th grades, she's been able to finish her work within 3 hours (or less) a day. K took us maybe 45 minutes a day when we were trying it out. And I had no problem doing OM5 and OMK simultaneously.

threelilbirds,

My daughter is using OM5 but using Teaching Textbooks 5 for her math program- we love TT, it's going great for her! She understands it, and she LIKES it. She actually looks forward to doing math every day!

I do think Life of Fred sounds very interesting/creative, too, and I think I will buy it over the summer (the first book) to check out, and then see if my daughter has an interest in checking it out, too, at her pace.