Menu

Medical and anatomy books for 8 yr old

Jill

DS is enjoying learning about non-hemmorrhagic hypovolemic shock vs. hemmorhagic, blunt force trauma, etc...

He has long (well, for someone who is only eight) held an interest in medical science and anatomical info. We participate in some slaughter and butchering and he's fascinated by much of that. We're looking for good books for him. Any recommendations? We have some of the Simon Basher books, including Biology but this child can and wants to learn some the more specific info, more details.

Video is good too. He loves Mythbusters and programs that show, with the assistance of computer graphics, the effects of various things on the human body: what adrenaline triggers in us in emergencies, what drinking salt water did to the Jamestown colonists, etc...

Things like "You wouldn't want to be a Roman Soldier..." are good too when they describe gory detail though he doesn't like to sit with a Reference Book on medical info at this point... more ideas?

He would probably enjoy Fight Science. It shows what happens to the body in various combat type situations.

That looks Spot On! The Nat'l Geo Jamestown Colony dvd is a fave so this Nat'l Geo looks just right too. Not available yet via netflix but I'll put it on my list.

I'll check out The Way We Work too! Thanks!

I actually got to browse at a bookstore today - this rarely happens. I found "The Proper Care and Feeding of Zombies"

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Proper-Care-and-Feeding-of-Zombies/Mac-Montandon/e/9780470643693/?itm=2&USRI=proper+care+feeding+zombies

which is a science book in disguise, much like "Cartoon Guide to..." books but with more text. And I had completely forgotten about the "Horrible Science" books out of Scholastic UK and the same fine people who brought us "Horrible Histories" but those aren't available at my local bookstore. I saw a couple of Biology Coloring books but ds is SO not a colorer yet they are compelling so I may run one by him one of these days. Perhaps that anatomy coloring book, Lisa. Can you post a link? thank you!

What do you think of this geared toward 12-16 year olds and where some of the colors to use are prescribed:

http://www.amazon.com/Human-Anatomy-Coloring-Colouring-Books/dp/0486241386/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1289961548&sr=8-6

there are so many others but some seem way too intricate and dry... I'm trying to look at the "Exploring Grey's Anatomy" coloring books but the "Look Inside Me" function is not working for me tonight (bad weather and a satellite internet connection...) If I had known there were so many coloring books for medical courses, I might have taken some myself in college. This would work for my brain.

My dd is enjoying "The Way We Work" by David Macaulay. .

This is great book. Just a heads up, though, for those using it with young children: there is a very detailed section on human reproduction. My 11 y.o. pointed this out to me and I was later told by my 8 y.o. that she now has NO questions. Ummm... :eek: (I had always assumed these would be mother/child conversations.)

This is great book. Just a heads up, though, for those using it with young children: there is a very detailed section on human reproduction. My 11 y.o. pointed this out to me and I was later told by my 8 y.o. that she now has NO questions. Ummm... :eek: (I had always assumed these would be mother/child conversations.)

Done and done. We have livestock around so reproduction discussions have been happening off and on for a few years...

What do you think of this geared toward 12-16 year olds and where some of the colors to use are prescribed:

http://www.amazon.com/Human-Anatomy-Coloring-Colouring-Books/dp/0486241386/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1289961548&sr=8-6

there are so many others but some seem way too intricate and dry... I'm trying to look at the "Exploring Grey's Anatomy" coloring books but the "Look Inside Me" function is not working for me tonight (bad weather and a satellite internet connection...) If I had known there were so many coloring books for medical courses, I might have taken some myself in college. This would work for my brain.

The one you linked might be a better one to start with. I've never seen it, other than the few pages that you can see on Amazon. I had this one in college:

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Coloring-Book-Wynn-Kapit/dp/0805350861/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c

and yes, it was very intricate. It might be too much for now, especially if he isn't really into coloring. I enjoyed it very much and it really helped me to learn the subject. I've been tempted to buy more just for fun but I know I don't have the time.

Sorry...I had to laugh...:lol: I am always amazed when my kids come out with something "I" didn't teach them.

I call this "stealth learning."

~~Faithe