Menu

Landforms

swellmomma

We have landforms coming up soon in Science for my older kids. We have been doing little unit studies and lapbooks so far for our other topics but this one is tougher. I found a lapbook for caves, but aside from a coloring book and a poster I have not found anything really great to cover landforms. Any ideas? THis would be for my 1st, 5th and 6th graders. I am willing to adapt up for the olders or down for the younger if necessary, I just need some ideas here.

Just another plug for the Montessori way--The youngers make the forms out of clay, and they add water to the small tray. The olders do a book.

What's neat is that they pair landforms which are opposites, something I never considered before (ex. A lake is water surrounded by land. An island is land surrounded by water.)

This is also a nice little book that will give kids basic information and a jumping off point. There are no activities or anything in it but we've learned a lot from it. You may want to add it to your studies.

Ohh I have that book on my shelf. I forgot all about it.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I had not known about the montessori method of learning about them and will look more closely into that.

There is also a Bobbie Kalman book-Introducing Landforms. I like this one since it gives actual pictures rather than drawings.

Also-the Trail Guide series or maybe Ultimate Book of Geography and Timelines has the kids make a geography dictionary. Basically draw a picture and write a short definition and many of the terms are landforms. They have notebooking pages but you could just as easily use notecards on a ring-picture on the blank side, definition on the lines.