Menu

Is McRuffy K and ETC enough to teach a child to read?

JaniceO

My daughter is 5 (just turned 5 in August). She knows all of her letters and sounds (most of the time, lol). I bought OPGTR to be our main program and McRuffy K for fun and reinforcement. I also have ETC that I get for free and she has fun filling out the workbook (we have been using Before the Code and it's too easy for her so just today I stepped her up to ETC).

She HATES OPGTR. She begged me this morning to not use it anymore. We are on lesson 33 (we had a slow start and went through some of the alphabet parts before she just suddenly knew all of her letters and sounds). Is McRuffy enough? Or should I push on with OPGTR. She'll do it if I tell her we have to, but I don't want to risk killing her love of learning.

McRuffy is *definitely* enough to teach her to read. Add in the ETC as a bonus and you're good to go. Don't force her to use the book she doesn't want to use......there must be some reason why she feels that way. So far she isn't fighting the McRuffy or ETC.....so that's great! We LOVE McRuffy!

P.S......maybe she'd like McRuffy Color Math too. ;)

Thank you! I just wasn't sure McRuffy taught the same things as OPGTR. I think she doesn't like it because the words on the page are too small and there aren't any pictures, lol. I had a dry erase board but it was damaged in the move and we haven't replaced it yet. The small one I have is still too small for her.

We are using McRuffy Math too and she LOVES it! She often asks to do 2 lessons a day.

I love McRuffy K! When my son wasn't catching on to cvc words, we took a couple months off. Then I started playing some of the McRuffy folder games and some from http://www.kellyskindergarten.com/Games/GamestoMake/games_to_make.htm, specifically the Fire Engine game and Space Mission. We went back to McRuffy, and he is suddenly getting it. I personally plan to use it (and ETC every once in awhile) and nothing else to teach him to read. :)

I love McRuffy K! When my son wasn't catching on to cvc words, we took a couple months off. Then I started playing some of the McRuffy folder games and some from http://www.kellyskindergarten.com/Games/GamestoMake/games_to_make.htm, specifically the Fire Engine game and Space Mission. We went back to McRuffy, and he is suddenly getting it. I personally plan to use it (and ETC every once in awhile) and nothing else to teach him to read. :)

Thanks for this game site. Looks great!

Yes, thank you for the link!

As for McRuffy, yes it can for the right kid. My son did awesome with the K program. Now we are doing great with 1st grade, but it is a jump in ways. I mean K focuses on Phonics really heavily and 1st grade is more spelling and grammar. Still a great program though.