Menu

My dd will be coming up to high school in a year or so. (we homeschool year round) I have a friend who basically did nothing different for high school for her kids, not PSAT, SAT, or ACT. No writing of papers longer then a page, no algebra 2, nothing strenous. That was a little too lite of highschool for me. I don't really want to go that road, but my dd is not super motivated nor is she super academically inclined. More of a creative bent with piano and writing.

I am trying to decide on a course of high school for her. We are currently using sonlight but I worry about rigor of core 300 and 400. She can't always "read between the lines" with some books and find the deeper meanings. I am also looking at MFW for high school which might be a little less overwhelming.

The goal here is success and to do well. I always find it to walk the fine line of challenging without overwhelming and defeat. I would rather she do well with something a little less rigorous and be defeated with something just too hard for her. Her goal is to attend a Christian college but she isn't sure for what ...yet.

Any ideas, any advice, any BTDT? Anyone with an average child academically?

I think Sonlight would be perfect, then. Supplement 300, at least, with a few Sparknotes or Cliffsnotes to get more discussion questions (and honestly, I'd cut out a few of the books, like Maniac McGee and the other middle school level books).

I would also give her a stronger writing program.

If you can choose Apologia (if it floats your boat as far as the philosophy/worldview behind it), then you'll have a decent but not overly rigorous bio and chem. Add in something like environmental science or a light astronomy to give you 3 sciences.

Add a language, continue with piano, and go up to at least Algebra 2--most colleges want to see 3 math courses, Algebra 1 and beyond, so that would be Alg 1, 2 and geometry. If you want really less rigorous, use something like MUS for Alg 1, Key to for geometry, and something easy for Alg 2. If you want something solid but with a lot of review and explanation, go with Saxon.

So,

History/Lit with Sonlight

Writing with something else using your lit and history as topics

Foreign language--you can do Latin for 3 years and get 2 years credit (so it's light but solid) with Latin Road

Math

Science with Apologia and something like Sustaining the Earth (enviro) and/or Astronomy Today

Piano for Music and Theory class

You could also go in other directions like adding in a journalism class, or finding an interest and pursuing that, once you've at least got the core subjects out of the way (math, sci, eng, hist).

You could add in art (and probably should, at least a semester).

The trick is to make it interesting and reflective of her needs, but still attractive and competitive with other kids going to college.

I have a similar daughter. She is only in 5th grade, but I will share our high school plans for her. She is very creative and her talents lie in music and writing.

History - Trisms

This will allow her to go deeper in areas that interest her (literature) and light in the actual history. It also incorporates IEW throughout. It will count as a credit of history and a half credit of literature each year.

Science - Oak Meadow

A solid but not rigorous program. It will give her room for her creativity in the assignments.

Math - Singapore Discovering Mathematics 1-4

DM 1-4 is basically PreAlgebra, Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II. I know it will be a challenge for her, but we want a strong foundation in algebra so she doesn't feel she isn't capable of achieving something later simply due to a lack of math skills.

Composition - half credit, online class each year. This is a strength and joy for her and an area I want to outsource so she can reach her full potential.

Latin - online course each year. The program we use moves at the student's own pace. She would struggle greatly in a program that had criteria to meet on a weekly basis.

Religion - online course that again moves at the student's pace.

The rest of her time will be devoted to music and creative writing. :D

Edited by Melissa B

I am also looking at MFW for high school which might be a little less overwhelming.

The goal here is success and to do well. I always find it to walk the fine line of challenging without overwhelming and defeat. I would rather she do well with something a little less rigorous and be defeated with something just too hard for her. Her goal is to attend a Christian college but she isn't sure for what ...yet.

Any ideas, any advice, any BTDT? Anyone with an average child academically?

I'm using MFW with my 9th grader. I used SL with my dd for American History (I think it was 100 then?), and used lots of other things too. I of course prefer MFW and wish it would have been available for dd. I'm not sure if it's less rigor, though. But it just makes more sense to *me* & the way my brain works.

With SL, my dd was supposed to glean things from literature but I wasn't sure what they were. She had maps but I wasn't sure what to do with them (even after asking on the SL forums). She had teacher notes but they were hundreds of pages long so I just went over them & read her a few (put sticky notes in her books to say that I had something to read to her). She had some good books assigned but some that I thought should have been on a longer list of "options" (like Dear Mr. Henshaw). We did our own Bible so I can't comment, but I wanted her to read the complete Bible in high school so we did that on our own -- I was so happy that MFW schedules that in.

Not sure what the questions are, so don't know if that helps :)

julie

My children are very average. Some extreme talent in some areas balanced with some real learning disabilities. I have to consider each person's talents and disabilities as I choose curriculum. I also tweak the assignments for each subject specially for each person.

Last year my oldest was very ill. She did a few papers, a few tests, and some oral discussions. Mainly, she just read. Now a whole year later it is COMMOM to hear comments like, "Hey Mom. Did you hear that on the news? I read about that last year. I think that the newcaster is wrong (or right)." SHE LEARNED A TON BY ONLY READING !!!!!!!!!!

You are wise to recognize that your average student might need High School "lite". You are also wise to see her talent areas. Be sure to plan LOTS of time in those talent areas.

If Sonlight works for you, then I would recommend sticking with it. If your dd needs to better understand "deeper meanings", then that is what I would orally discuss. I discourage changing programs because something MIGHT be better. (From here on out I'll change only if something does not work at all.)

Find out ( your state's education website maybe?) the graduation requirements for your state. Also find the entrance requirements to the colleges your dd might be interested in. Those two things will give you the course "titles" you need. Then you can choose materials and assignments that best fit YOUR DD. :)

Hope this helps!

Pam

I am also trying to think beyond academics and into her faith. What would build her faith and draw her closer to Christ? I will admit that I am leaning toward MFW just because it seems less cluttered. Although my DH might have my head on a stake outside the front door if I suggest changing curriculum..again. :001_huh: He is sort of open, but we used MFW before and I found some excuse to change. I cringe when I think about it. I doubt my dd has had a good year of American history with all of our jumping around. :blushing: She has even called me on the carpet for it. I have asked for her input on what path she might like and she does feel MFW would be the better choice for her with a few extra books thrown to read. I forgot to add that occasionally finances are an issue when picking or switching curriculum.

I'd suggest going to a curriculum fair. You don't even have to buy anything, but you and your daughter can look through different curricula together and make notes on what looks good, what to avoid, etc.. Then you can come up with a list of what you'd ideally like to use, and be on the lookout for them used or on a good sale.

I definitely think that you should allow her lots of time to develop her talents in her areas of interests. At the same time, covering the basics is important. If she decides to go to college, then she'll need to meet admission requirements which often means taking the SAT or ACT tests. Anyone can take the tests, but in order to score as best as she can, she'll need to have the math courses that correspond, as well as the vocabulary and reading comprehension, etc..

All that to say that you don't have to make it challenging beyond her abilities, but you can cover the basics, help her with a plan to work on the things she enjoys, and prepare for the possibility of college. If she doesn't go, the education she received will never go to waste. Maybe some day she'll be teaching her own children. :)

My avg academic dd-but more music/creative oriented-is doing AHL w/ MFW this year for 9th grade. It is a solid program that covers all the basics and gets the job done. She works independently w/ the manual provided and written to the student.

We do TT alg 1 along w/ Apologia Sci, violin lessons, chamber group, and serving in the church's music ministry.

I had much concern approaching HS and the rigors involved. I praise God we have found a good fit for my dd.

I definitely think that you should allow her lots of time to develop her talents in her areas of interests. At the same time' date=' covering the basics is important. If she decides to go to college, then she'll need to meet admission requirements which often means taking the SAT or ACT tests. Anyone can take the tests, but in order to score as best as she can, she'll need to have the math courses that correspond, as well as the vocabulary and reading comprehension, etc..

All that to say that you don't have to make it challenging beyond her abilities, but you can cover the basics, help her with a plan to work on the things she enjoys, and prepare for the possibility of college. If she doesn't go, the education she received will never go to waste. Maybe some day she'll be teaching her own children. :)[/quote']

:iagree: See this link here if you haven't already. It definitely covers something about learning & talents.

I didn't read all the posts, so forgive me if this was already covered, but SL Core 400 is HARD! OK, not each and every book, but I kid you not, even *I* had a hard time figuring out the point behind the history and bible spines. I couldn't sell that Core fast enough. Had zero plans of torturing my youngest with it. Ack! I honestly can't say whether my children actually learned government. :blink:

I now personally feel that an average student would do well with a history textbook over trying to pull together various facts from various books (ie reading between the lines). I wouldn't hesitate AT ALL using BJU's history texts and including some whole book readers with it for high school. in fact, that is now my current plan as of a few months ago...

I am a TOG fan. Love, love, love it, but recently my ds told me that he just doesn't want to work SO hard on History every day. He wants things concise, organized in one book, etc. That switching between books, and trying to answer questions from several books at one time is maddening. So, we switched to BJU a few months ago (leaving my TOG sitting sadly on the shelf) and he's doing SO WELL! He's actually learning the info, and enjoying the process. No, it's not as exciting and colorful for me, but he likes it much better.

So, all that to say... History textbooks do have their place, and I think they work well for those more average learners who would rather focus thier attention in one history text. Plus, I find after graduating two children, textbooks for high school are so much easier for grading purposes.

Just my 2 cents. ;) (I do seriously lament not using TOG though....makes me really sad).

Update

Both DD and DH said they felt MFW was what we should do. I am feeling very good about this choice. I need to cement in writing options though.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. It gave me a lot to think about and I let DH read them and offer his opinion. ;)