Menu

Loving BJU Math!

amtmcm

Just had to post a plug for Bob Jones Math.

After struggling through a year of Teaching Textbooks and Singapore, then dabbling in Math-U-See (which are all great programs!) and spending hundreds of dollars on math, we finally found our fit! My DD even looked at me a few weeks ago and said "I like this math, Mom." My jaw hit the floor.

One caveat..... we are using BJU Math with the videos. IMO, the textbooks do not have enough info to "teach" the lessons. Someone needs to teach the lessons - either a parent or the DVD/Online lessons. I love math, but DD says I confuse her so we opted for the videos.

Anyway, I don't see many folks writing about BJU Math, so I thought I'd throw it out there as an option for anyone who is struggling with math like we were. BJU is solid and straight forward. It's not the hardest or the easiest - like Goldilocks said, it's just right. :)

Edited by amtmcm

Guest TheBugsMom

I have used BJU math for years but never used the DVDs. The teachers edition for elementary is the key to the program (if you don't use the DVDs) so it is teacher intensive but well worth it. One of the things I loke about the teachers edition is it gives you several ways to approach a problems, the emphasis on word problems (ones they have and on the child making their own), and the strong use of manipulatives. For the child it is colorful amd fun. Each year you follow a main character and his/her sidekick(usually an animal): as they create a story with a special theme: farm life, community helpers, houses around the world, underwater adventure, missions are just a few.

My children love BJU Elementary math, in fact my 20 yr old can still remember Farmer Brown and Cheddar the Mouse from Kindergarten.

BJU is a very solid mastery-based math curriculum!! We've used it since 4th grade (with the DVDs) and it's given my ds a wonderful math foundation. I sometimes read threads about the newest, or coolest, or supposedly best math curriculum, and I'll get a twinge of doubt that perhaps I cheated him in some way...but then I look at my ds's math knowlege and I'm super happy I used BJU. :D It's not the new trendy math that has everyone talking, but it's a math that has stood the test of time. Solid, dependable, traditional. ;)

Unless one loves teaching math, I highly recommend it with the DVDs. The BJU math teachers are the best! If one is using it without teaching from the TE, I hate to say this, but you are cheating your child. BJU is a math that needs to be taught, was written to be taught...either by you, or via DVD by a BJU teacher. It's not an independent math curriculum.

We're really liking BJU too. I thought we might want to go back to CLE at first, but we just like it too much to do that. There's just enough review I think.

As much as I love CLE, I don't think I would use it with young children. I didn't start using CLE until 7th grade...after my ds already had a good math foundation with BJU. I love CLE for him now, but for those foundational years BJU is a solid choice. ;)

BJU Math has been the one constant program we have used all four years of our homeschooling. My Dh taught RS to dd at the very beginning, but he wasn't able to be consistent with it time-wise. I added in BJU Math to make sure she was covering math daily. We didn't continue RS, but have enjoyed BJU all these years. Math is my one subject that I don't stress over when planning each new year...though I am curious about Life of Fred once she gets a little older.

I am curious about Life of Fred once she gets a little older.

My DD13 used LOF Fractions and Decimals & Percents over the summer as a review/supplement. I personally don't think LOF includes enough practice to use it as a stand alone math program - it probably depends on how quickly the student can pick up and retain the lessons. The books are definitely fun and inexpensive enough to buy as a supplement. :)

ETA: Here's a current thread about LOF: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221957

Edited by amtmcm

My DD13 used LOF Fractions and Decimals & Percents over the summer as a review/supplement. I personally don't think LOF includes enough practice to use it as a stand alone math program - it probably depends on how quickly the student can pick up and retain the lessons. The books are definitely fun and inexpensive enough to buy as a supplement. :)

ETA: Here's a current thread about LOF: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221957

Thank you for the input! I love the idea of the creative presentations of LoF and MCT, but so far, I've only used MCT as a supplement. I'll likely do the same with LoF.