Menu

How much should I budget for TOG next year?

Jennefer@SSA

Next year I am almost sure we will use TOG and I am trying to figure out how much I should save to purchase it along with supplements. Can I get some ballpark figures from you here who are using it already? I will have 2 lower grammar students and one who will be between upper grammar and dialectic.

I am also trying to decide if I will do DE or Print version. Most likely I will get both this first year and after working with it for a year determine if I need both or can just go to DE fully??? That means right there I need $259 saved. Help! :)

Which year are you going to be doing? They have a pretty good sale on Y1 right now ($179 for printed version) as well as $50 off Y2. I priced it all out and to get Y1 printed only, WA (currently 25% off), MapAids, Evaluations, PopQuiz and a set of tabs, came to $334 with a further discount that they offered before I checked out.

As far as books go, I can't help you there. I seem to already own a lot of their books, which helps, but I guess it also depends on how many you choose to buy and how much you'll be using your library.

Which year are you going to be doing? They have a pretty good sale on Y1 right now ($179 for printed version) as well as $50 off Y2. I priced it all out and to get Y1 printed only, WA (currently 25% off), MapAids, Evaluations, PopQuiz and a set of tabs, came to $334 with a further discount that they offered before I checked out.

As far as books go, I can't help you there. I seem to already own a lot of their books, which helps, but I guess it also depends on how many you choose to buy and how much you'll be using your library.

We will be doing Y1 but I am nervous I will miss out on a lot if I don't go with DE. Are the perks of DE worth getting both? If I got only DE I would need to get a color printer as I only have a b & w and not a very good one at that. And I am sorta old fashioned and would want the print version to have in my fingers. Is it crazy to get both???

Also I looked over the Y1 booklist at BookCentral and I had a few but not many. I would want to buy several of the books. Hmmm......

We will be doing Y1 but I am nervous I will miss out on a lot if I don't go with DE. Are the perks of DE worth getting both? If I got only DE I would need to get a color printer as I only have a b & w and not a very good one at that. And I am sorta old fashioned and would want the print version to have in my fingers. Is it crazy to get both???

Also I looked over the Y1 booklist at BookCentral and I had a few but not many. I would want to buy several of the books. Hmmm......

I talked to the good folks at TOG about this. They are also offering Y1 hybrids that include the DE for $199 vs. $179 just for print. I wanted to get just print in the event I decide to resell. I want to be able to hold Y1 in its entirety in my hand before I am fully committed.

If you buy just the print, you can add the DE at any time for $35, which is only $15 more than the cost of print + DE. For *me* paying that extra $15 is worth the peace of mind of being able to resell $350 worth of product should I realize it's not for me.

I do not think it's crazy to get both, but I likely say that because that's my plan too. ;) I just want to be sure, sure, sure that we'll use TOG before I have a product I'm not permitted to resell.

ETA: I do not know how long their hybrid sale on Y1 is going to last for. When I spoke with them last week the lady told me they had many left. I've not bought mine yet because I'm still deciding if I'm completely crazy to be buying it now when we won't even start until Sept. next year. I know I'll certainly want a couple months to look over it before we start up our school year, but 10 months is a pretty long time. I'm hoping somebody else will chime in with regards to what's the lowest/best price to get TOG for. I did start a thread about that back in the spring (when I thought we'd use TOG this fall) and was told $25 savings was as good as it gets. Right now, I can get $85 so that's got to be really good, but who knows?

Edited by plain jane

I am 100% DE and very happy with that decision. I thought I would like paper too but it is no biggie. There really is nothing that would need to be printed in color so I wouldn't worry about that either. But if you are really set on paper I would probably go with DE alongside. Just my .02.

As far as budgeting for books, I have spent about $70/ year for one child. So maybe double that. I do use the library pretty heavily. I would not order books until you have a chance to look at your year plan. You will get a much better idea of what you need when you can look at it week by week. Just looking at Bookshelf does not give a very clear idea of what you will actually want and your year plan will give suggestions for when books can be shared between younger and older students.

I am also trying to decide if I will do DE or Print version. Most likely I will get both this first year and after working with it for a year determine if I need both or can just go to DE fully???

I think you'll be happy with this choice. This is our first year with TOG and I purchased DE only. I printed out everything except for the Rhetoric sections since I was trying to save ink and money. It's worked out pretty well, but I did spend quite a bit of time printing. I would have rather spent that time familiarizing myself with the curriculum. For Y2 I've decided to go ahead and get DE + print since it's on sale. It will save me some time and I'm sure their printing will look a lot nicer! Once you've seen the color pages you'll also get a better feel for whether or not you'll be happy with black and white in future years.

You will definitely want a copy of the Usborne Encyclopedia of the Ancient World. This is used in multiple weeks for UG and Bookshelf Central says you could use it for Dialectic as well. Walk with Y'shua is consumable so you would need to purchase that unless you went with an alternate or decide not to do "History-In Depth". I've been able to get most other books between our 2 library systems here. You'll want to look into what your library has available.

Edited by luvnlattes

If you buy just the print, you can add the DE at any time for $35, which is only $15 more than the cost of print + DE. For *me* paying that extra $15 is worth the peace of mind of being able to resell $350 worth of product should I realize it's not for me.

When you upgrade to DE for $35 you send them your Loom CD and sign an agreement that you will not sell your print addition. The only way you can sell your print is if you pay full price for your DE. DE can never be sold or returned.

ETA: I went back and reread your post and realize maybe I'm misunderstanding you. If that's the case ignore me :)

Edited by Karenciavo

When you upgrade to DE for $35 you send them your Loom CD and sign an agreement that you will not sell your print addition. The only way you can sell your print is if you pay full price for your DE. DE can never be sold or returned.

ETA: I went back and reread your post and realize maybe I'm misunderstanding you. If that's the case ignore me :)

I think you misunderstood me because I didn't make myself very clear. :o

I would like to just buy the print (to be able to resell) because I can upgrade to print + DE for $35 at a later date. It costs $15 more to do that than if I were to order DE+print together initially but the extra $15 is worth the peace of mind to resell should I decide I don't like TOG. If I like it well enough, I'll spend the $35 to upgrade to DE and send in the Loom CD.