Menu

Planning a trip to San Francisco, suggestions.

Hi all. Dh has never been to SF and I would like to plan a trip this summer for the two of us. I know it's still a ways away, but I like to do my research. Any how I am looking at June (anytime) or mid July (Avoiding the 4th). We like to walk, so I would like to stay somewhere with lots to see nearby. Any suggestions for hotels/inns/Bed and Bath/etc? Any must go to restaurants? Reasons not to go this time of year? Better time to go? ETC. Thanks.

Danielle

It's actually warmer in late August & September than in June or early July. So I would recommend a late summer trip rather than an early summer one (assuming that works with your family's schedule).

For a budget motel in a relatively convenient location, check out the Nob Hill Motor Inn at Pacific & Polk. It's not fancy, but it is a decent place to crash at a decent price.

If you want to splurge, stay at the St. Regis on 3rd St. We've only ever stayed there when an employer was picking up the tab so I have no idea how horrendously expensive it is, but WOW!

Edited by Crimson Wife
fixed typo

I just recommend layers....California is always shown as the sunny state (no offense to the Floridians) but the foggy bay area is chilly and can chill ya to the bone!!

I so recommend a walk across the Golden Gate, I have been across so many times it makes me smile each time! If you go on the North side of the Bridge there is a fantastic look out and old fort that looks out on the Pacific and over the Bay...oh goodness, I am excited for you!

If you make it the first Wednesday of the month the Exploratorium is FREEE!

the museum of science, art and human perception! It is beyond fabulous!!!

I just recommend layers....California is always shown as the sunny state (no offense to the Floridians) but the foggy bay area is chilly and can chill ya to the bone!!

I so recommend a walk across the Golden Gate, I have been across so many times it makes me smile each time! If you go on the North side of the Bridge there is a fantastic look out and old fort that looks out on the Pacific and over the Bay...oh goodness, I am excited for you!

If you make it the first Wednesday of the month the Exploratorium is FREEE!

the museum of science, art and human perception! It is beyond fabulous!!!

just a reminder, if you are planning going to Alcatraz book early!! It sells out fast.

I recommend http://www.baycityguide.com/

We have never taken the double decker bus tour, but it looks fun!

We were there with our family last July. Actually we stayed in Santa Rosa 1 hour north because that's where our family lives. But, we visited San Francisco and it was wonderful. We went with 5 children so what we did was might be a little different that what you do. Here's my recommendations:

Look into the MUNI transportation. The cable cars for 7 people were too expensive and crowded for us. We ended up taking the MUNI Bus several different places. It was affordable and they go everywhere. I called the MUNI people several times before we went and they were so very nice! Checking into the bus lines certainly wouldn't hurt.

We took a walking tour of Chinatown. I thought it was a bit on the expensive side, but it was REALLY interesting!

The old sailboat and the other boats that you can tour on the Bay. It costs $5.00 and we and all the kids really enjoyed it.

Pier 39 was so much better than Fisherman's Wharf. If you are walking from the boat area, then you would walk through Fisherman's Wharf to Pier 39. I thought that Pier 39 was much nicer. The sea lions were just coming back when we were there. They are always fun to watch. My family did the mirror maze, and it was the most fun thing we ended up doing in San Francisco! We did it for the kids, but I laughed so much, it was a blast! It was a really fun mirror maze. Highly recommended if you are feeling a little on the silly side.

We have been to San Francisco in the past several times because of family in the area, and I would not recommend Coit tower, The Aquarium on the Bay of Fisherman's Wharf, These seemed too expensive for what you get.

If I was there without my children I might consider bicycling across the Golden Gate Bridge. There is a place where you can rent them. It sounded like fun, but I have never done this.

If you have a car, I would consider it a must to see one of the Redwood Forests. Muir Woods is just north of San Francisco, and Armstrong Grove is about an hour away, nearer towards Santa Rosa. I prefer Armstrong Grove because it is less crowded and seems more "magical". But, if you are not worried about the crowds I'm sure Muir Woods would be fine.

Also, if you have a car driving north to Bodega Bay is really nice. They have great clam chowder, and north of Bodega Bay are 11 public beaches. All of them are really nice and different. It is always amazing to me to see the differences between the oceans. There are some places where it is rocky, and the waves crash on the rocks with such power. It is really nice.

Also, don't forget to bring jackets! Dressing in layers seems to be very important in San Francisco. It can be blazing hot, then the wind picks up and it can turn really cold quickly. Don't be fooled by it being June or July, coats are important.

I know you will have lots of fun!

I second the "walk across the Golden Gate Bridge" idea.

There is a very small and funky Italian restaurant called Michelangelo Cafe in North Beach (the Italian area of town). There was always a line out the door. You can find it on google maps, with 103 reviews.

It's not too expensive and the ambiance is fun. Noisy, crowded (not a romantic dinner spot) but the owner comes around and offers samples of things.

North Beach also has a famous used bookstore. Now I forget the name but it is right up the street, on the same side of the street from Michelangelo's.

There are also shows there - art, theater, symphony, and concerts that you can pick up so it might be worth researching what is going on when you plan to be there.

Have a great time! It is a great city for walking, just bring a warm coat. When the fog rolls in, you will need it!