Menu

Classical schools/groups in San Jose area?

Guest greenmom

Guest greenmom

Hello! I will be moving into the San Jose, California, area soon and I would like some recommendations for schools, charter schools, homeschool groups, etc. that educate in the classical method or are sympathetic to classical education.

My son is currently in Kindergarten in public school and, because of the work I've done at home with him, he is one to two grade levels above all his peers. This causes him to get bored in class. He needs the social interaction with other kids but he needs either a school that challenges him or else i need a support group to help me home educate him. And I would prefer to educate him in the classical method.

Any leads for schools, charters, co-ops, etc near San Jose would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!

-Greenmom

You are in luck. A new school is about to open in San Jose next year and it is classical in its philosophy. I believe it's called Calvary Academy, but I could not find any website yet.

There's also Live Oak Academy, which offers many subjects on campus two days a week. The rest of the week is for students and parents to school at home.

I can pm you with more info if you're interested.

Grace Lutheran School in San Mateo is classical, and they are wonderful. Drama, Latin, good grammar training, choral training, chapel, history--all great. Outstanding Bible classes. They are either K-8 or pre-K-8. Wonderful liturgical worship.

Live Oak is a classical Christian two day per week program right in San Jose. I don't know very much about it.

HEART is Christian but not classical, but pretty rigorous--one day per week homeschooling classes in science, art, drama, and literature/writing. Early writing uses IEW, later uses the David Quine curricula. Science uses Apologia.

They also teach advanced math, but I don't remember which curricula they use.

There are also some very good secular coops, of varying degrees of rigor. Academic Antics is one of the more rigorous ones, and meets two days per week--middle and high school are the primary targets, although there are some elementary classes as well. Lupines is more Waldorf-oriented, and focused on middle school through early high school--it's more hands on and celebratory, and less rigorous.

There are also some paid classes that are good--Vivace Youth Chorus of San Jose is the premier voice training in the South Bay. Riekes has one day per week nature awareness classes that are superb. Neither of these is classical, but they are best of breed type offerings if you are interested in those areas of study. Schmahl Science has an excellent reputation for weekly science classes for homeschoolers--very hands on. Personally, I regard it as supplemental but good--not adequate as a standalone item, and not correlated with a specific assigned text, but very good for experimental experience.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Another really good school is Apostles' Lutheran School in San Jose. JK through 8th grade, small class sizes, drama, piano and choral lessons, excellent Bible, Scott Foresman for LA, Saxon for math, science and social studies fairs in alternating years, good sports training, very self-contained, not too expensive.

And there is a Classical Conversations coop that just started here in the San Jose area this school year, very successfully I understand.