Menu

hair mineral analysis?

I'm curious as to whether or not there is a reliable way to test for vitamin/mineral levels. I've heard of hair mineral analysis for years, but have never had it done. I did some googling and found several companies that offer it, but I don't know if these are reputable or not.

I've seen prices ranging from $60-200 for hair mineral testing.

Have any of y'all done the testing?

Do you know if the testing is at least somewhat reliable?

A blood test will measure your current levels. Hair mineral analysis should give levels over a much longer time period.

My primary question is whether or not my dd's magnesium levels were low. I started her on a magnesium supplement and that seems to have stopped her symptoms, but I'd like to actually KNOW that low magnesium was the problem rather than assume it.

Well, chronic Mg deficiency is very common and it's pretty hard to overdose on it. So...I personally wouldnt do a hair analysis to just find that out. I would give the kid Mg. It is great for stress. If they take more than they need, it will just cause loose stools. No big deal.

I have had a hair analysis. It's great for testing whether you have heavy metals in your system- mercury, lead etc. Thats what I have generally used it for. The one I had done gave a very in depth report, and it is useful for more than heavy metals- it can tell you about your constutution (parasympathetic, or sympathetic nervous system dominant ), and can pick up imbalances. So...I do think they are useful.

I had one done for the same reason as Peela - to detect heavy metal toxicity. It did tell me the levels of some minerals though too.

From what I understand from doing tons of research on this because of my own chronic conditions (I am not a scientist or a doctor) is that magnesium is actually stored in the tissues. So you can't do a blood test to see what your magnesium level is. The best test to tell magnesium levels is to do a test where you take a detox agent that makes your tissues release the magnesium into your urine. They then do a urinalysis on that to tell the levels. They do get a level of magnesium from your hair but since the levels in the hair are based on how much is coming through your blood stream, I personally wonder about how accurate this is. Tons of googling has not given me an answer on this, though. What I do know is that they don't actually look at the number of magnesium itself but the ratio between how much calcium and magnesium you have in order to see if you have a deficiency.

Epsom salt baths are the absolute best ways of getting magnesium into your body. It is absorbed through the skin much easier than taking it orally. When you take it orally, it has to go through your digestive system and it doesn't take too much to give you diarrhea.

PS. - they can only test undyed hair.

Peela, Can you explain this more? What would indicate parasympathetic etc. and what does that mean? I have done hair tests on my son and nobody ever told me about that. Is this a stable thing or does it change in a person over time? ie. would a hair test done as a toddler still be accurate? Thanks!

I really dont know- not my area of expertise at all. I know I got a very in depth report with my hair analysis which explained it all.

Yes, I can't see why a toddler woudl be any different to an adult. I am sure heavy metals would show up.

As Jean says- not sure that hair analysis is the best way to test for Mg- and probably many other things too. A hair analysis will only show what is actually put into the hair for whatever reason.

Since going through a stage of getting myself and many others I knew tested...I am not even sure it is worth it unless you have very competent people reading it.

I and many others have had a high copper reading in the hair. For a long time I was trying to get all the supposed excess copper out of my system- as recommended. Then I read a different report on the many excess copper readings, which suggested that actually the copper was not available to my system and that taking copper would be helpful. So I just stopped doing anything, lol, because obviously there is some debate as to what having these things in your hair actually means.

http://www.calmnatural.com/kidscalm This is a powder that has to be dissolved in hot water, but once it's dissolved, it can be added to juice. I've used the adult version of this and feel like it works very well.

I found this too http://www.springvalleyherbs.com/catalog/item/2872/Dr.-Shealy%27s-Magnesium-Lotion-16oz but I have no first-hand knowledge of how it works or how well it works.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

We have used them for myself and all my children to detect heavy metal issues. It showed what I believe to be an accurate reading on my then 1 year old. I wouldn't pay a fortune for it though, we paid $90.00 for ours at one place and over $100.00 at another. Never more than that.

We also use a magnesium sulfate cream to help with magnesium uptake for the kids who prefer to shower.