Menu

Finishing ILL, what comes next? Hoping to find something vintage/CM

helena

My 6th grader is wrapping up ILL, (she also completed PLL). Whatever I choose will be done mostly 7th grade. My daughter has learned a lot from these two books, she's drawn to the art and "old fashioned" format. I'd like to find something that's similar PLL and ILL, and can take her through jr. high. (at least). The CM approach has worked well for us, but I'm open to try other similar books. What we don't want is a modern workbook, or anything on the computer.

I've been searching old threads and found JAG and EftTC. Is there anything else I should look at? Is there some website that sells old out of print type grammar books?

She also does Cozy Grammar, which is quite thorough. PLL/ILL and CG have been an excellent combo here, I'd like to keep it going if possible.

I'd love to hear any thoughts on this..

I have looked at LM fairly extensively, but I didn't think that it made enough of a step up from ILL. That's how I ended up with MCT. Also, I thought that although the format of LM is similar, it was different enough to make the transition less smooth than I would have liked. Since you're looking for a vintage-type book, I won't make my standard recommendation, ;) but I know that I have found and bought other antique (McGuffey era) grammar texts. But I don't know if they're available in other formats, like Google books. I always check the "old books" section when I go to my local Goodwills for this kind of book. :) Good luck in your search!

ETA: Have you checked ebay? I have had excellent luck going that route for old books. :)

Edited by Caitilin

If you don't mind this having a catholic slant...

http://hillsideeducation.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6&zenid=1a4fccb46c2ee597f6e195ba1fb450b4\

Lingua Mater is for grade 7.

Hmm.. we're Muslim... my mom is Catholic!! :D

How Catholic is it? I don't mind a little. It looks nice and the table of content doesn't seem be full of Christian themes. Do they sprinkle the Catholic perspective on non religious lessons?

We already use some books that have a Christian slant, but my kids don't see them as "Christian values", or history that solely belongs to Christians.

This is what I described.. I'm going to consider it, thank you.

Do you like this curriculum?

Hmm.. we're Muslim... my mom is Catholic!! :D

How Catholic is it? I don't mind a little. It looks nice and the table of content doesn't seem be full of Christian themes. Do they sprinkle the Catholic perspective on non religious lessons?

We already use some books that have a Christian slant, but my kids don't see them as "Christian values", or history that solely belongs to Christians.

This is what I described.. I'm going to consider it, thank you.

Do you like this curriculum?

It's heavily Catholic. It's not like Seton, which is over the top in its approach, even for many Catholics, but it's clearly Catholic.

I have looked at LM fairly extensively, but I didn't think that it made enough of a step up from ILL. That's how I ended up with MCT. Also, I thought that although the format of LM is similar, it was different enough to make the transition less smooth than I would have liked. Since you're looking for a vintage-type book, I won't make my standard recommendation, ;) but I know that I have found and bought other antique (McGuffey era) grammar texts. But I don't know if they're available in other formats, like Google books. I always check the "old books" section when I go to my local Goodwills for this kind of book. :) Good luck in your search!

ETA: Have you checked ebay? I have had excellent luck going that route for old books. :)

What do you mean by "it didn't make enough of a step up from ILL"?, what are the main differences between ILL and LM? I'm going to check out McGuffy..

Thank you for all the info. :001_smile:

ETA: McGuffey looks nice! I think she'd be interested in Ray's too. McGuffeys looks a lot like what she's been asking for overall.

Thanks again.

Edited by helena

What do you mean by "it didn't make enough of a step up from ILL"?, what are the main differences between ILL and LM? I'm going to check out McGuffy..

Thank you for all the info. :001_smile:

ETA: McGuffey looks nice! I think she'd be interested in Ray's too. McGuffeys looks a lot like what she's been asking for overall.

Thanks again.

I mean that I didn't think that there was enough new material, or going deeper into material that had already been covered. Also, (English major bias showing here), I thought the literature/poetry selections were, well, shallow, not challenging enough for the level, overly sentimental, not engaging the rational mind. I know there are people who really like the Victorian era sentimental poetry and literature, but I am not one of them. An occasional piece here and there is fine--a steady diet of it would be like living on sugar cookies. :)

ETA: I had the same issues with the art choices, too. The picture studies were awfully saccharine...

I mean that I didn't think that there was enough new material, or going deeper into material that had already been covered. Also, (English major bias showing here), I thought the literature/poetry selections were, well, shallow, not challenging enough for the level, overly sentimental, not engaging the rational mind. I know there are people who really like the Victorian era sentimental poetry and literature, but I am not one of them. An occasional piece here and there is fine--a steady diet of it would be like living on sugar cookies. :)

ETA: I had the same issues with the art choices, too. The picture studies were awfully saccharine...

As in little Victorian shepherd girl holding a baby chick in early spring type pictures? :)

What do you think of the McGuffey stuff?

As in little Victorian shepherd girl holding a baby chick in early spring type pictures? :)

What do you think of the McGuffey stuff?

LOL! You nailed it!:lol:

Well, I wouldn't want to read nothing but McGuffeys for school or anything, but the thing that they do have going for them is that the sentence structure and vocabulary is much more advanced than modern books geared toward the same age group. The moral lessons, while admittedly heavy-handed (laid on with the proverbial trowel!), are solid and things I can agree with. As you age up in them, the readings get more interesting, and the most advanced have your child reading selections from truly excellent writers in English. They assume that you're striving for excellence, and they strive to provide it. That's my take, anyhow. :)

My son was very sad to say goodbye to ILL after very much enjoying his three years of study with it. I spent a LONG time trying to find something we both found to be a suitable replacement, and while it is not vintage or even particularly similar, he is loving Lightning Literature 8. I chose to go a grade level ahead based on ds's voracious reading and his interest in meaty LA material. The lit selections and analysis satisfy the English major in me, and he is truly enjoying both the reading and assignments. He has turned out some surpisingly nice poems, has studied a few short stories and a novel, and is looking forward to starting a new book in the morning. He is using Applications of Grammar to satisfy the grammar side, and I do require him to do all the writing assignments in LL as it is our sole writing program.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 7-10, 2 in college, schooling grades 2, 4, 4 and 7

Or...Queen Victoria handing Native man in turban a Bible? (Simply Grammar by Andreola)

I've been waiting for that one, using these older books... :glare:

It's funny because in FLL and ILL all references to God transfer to little Muslim girls perfectly fine. What a Christian mom might like in them (the presence of God in it's Lit and Poetry), I also appreciate from a Muslim mom perspective.

Converting the heathens isn't going to work for me..

My son was very sad to say goodbye to ILL after very much enjoying his three years of study with it. I spent a LONG time trying to find something we both found to be a suitable replacement, and while it is not vintage or even particularly similar, he is loving Lightning Literature 8. I chose to go a grade level ahead based on ds's voracious reading and his interest in meaty LA material. The lit selections and analysis satisfy the English major in me, and he is truly enjoying both the reading and assignments. He has turned out some surpisingly nice poems, has studied a few short stories and a novel, and is looking forward to starting a new book in the morning. He is using Applications of Grammar to satisfy the grammar side, and I do require him to do all the writing assignments in LL as it is our sole writing program.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 7-10, 2 in college, schooling grades 2, 4, 4 and 7

It's nice to hear from someone who also loves ILL/PLL. :001_smile:

I'll definitely look into LL.

Thanks!

Hi, Since you like vintage books, how about Harvey's Grammar? I plan to use it when we finish LM. http://www.amazon.com/Harveys-Revised-English-Grammar-Thomas/dp/0880620420/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1288667761&sr=8-2

If you look under, you will find the answer key for it. It's vintage, thrifty and looks complete.

Kim

I saw these on the McGuffey site! They look interesting, I plan on spending some time reading threads here on it. My daughter was excited when she saw the whole package of their readers, Harvey's Grammar, Spencerian Cursive, and Ray's Arithmetic. This is exactly the kind of thing she's attracted to.

Thanks!