Menu

It's my turn for a "Help me with dinner" thread

I have to think of something for dinner. I have ground beef out and I'm sick sick sick to death of all the things I normally make with it. These include:

Burgers

Spaghetti (or some other form of red sauce based pasta)

Shepherd's Pie

Tacos

What's your favorite ground beef recipe? Please help! I don't want to have to worry about it around trick-or-treat time.

ITALIAN HAMBURGER MINESTRONE SOUP

1 lb. ground beef

1 c. chopped onion

1 lg. can tomatoes

1 c. chopped cabbage

1 c. cubed raw potatoes

1 c. sliced raw carrots

3/4 c. sliced celery

1/4 c. chopped green pepper

1 1/2 qt. water

1/4 c. uncooked rice

2 bay leaves

1/2 tsp. thyme

1/4 tsp. oregano

1/4 tsp. basil

4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

Grated Parmesan cheese

In a large kettle, saute ground beef and onions until meat is brown; drain fat. Add tomatoes, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, celery, and green pepper. Bring to a boil. Add water, rice, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Serve sprinkled with grated cheese. Serves 6.

Chili

Ingredients:

• 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes, diced, with juices
  • 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 can (15 ounces) chili beans, small red beans, or kidney beans, drained and rinsed

Preparation:

Cook first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan until meat is browned, stirring until it crumbles; drain off excess fat. Add chili powder and next 8 ingredients, stirring well; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Add beans, stirring well, and cook until thoroughly heated.

Serves 6.

Edited by LibraryLover

Curry.... You brown the ground beef with some curry and bouillon cube..... to make a sauce... (but not like curry that you'd think of) Then you top individual servings with bell peppers, tomatoes, other stuff :) and peanuts. Our friends that had been in New Zealand made it for us... no idea if it's anything about authentic... but as a kid... it was a favorite.... oh yes... over rice... with sweetened coconut on top :0

I am making taco soup for the first time ever today (since everyone here raves about how much their families love it). I figure it can be in the crockpot while we are trick-or-treating so dinner is ready when we get home. I also use ground beef in beef-rice-cheese burritos, meatloaf, plus the things already mentioned. I sometimes just cook the ground beef with a diced onion and lots of paprika and serve over rice or mashed potatoes, and that usually goes over well.