Menu

Has anyone used Switched on Schoolhouse Language arts or other recommendations?

Prairie~Phlox

We have used both SOS LA and Grammar Key.

SOS LA is ok. It gets the job done. There are things I would change, like giving the younger children longer to work on their spelling words, but overall it does get the job done. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. Sometimes life just dictates what is used, KWIM?

We have Grammar Keys (grammar and punctuation) and find it to be a no nonsense approach to grammar. It does not deal with literature, writing, comprehension, etc. Here is the link to this program: http://grammarkey.com/ The guy who did this was a teacher for 25 + years and decided he could help students by making English grammar and punctuation easier to understand and remember. Aslo, Grammar Keys in very inexpensive. You can buy the CD version is $39. They also have an online version, but I don't know how that one works with multiple chldren.

Just another opinion and option to consider.

Edited by Josie
To mention cost of Grammar Key

We are using the 7th grade Language Arts with dd13. I had to have something more independent for her to do. She doesn't love it but is doing it. It is tough for her since Language Arts is a weak area for her but this program is helping. It took her a little while to get the hang of how the program works but she is doing well now. I love that it grades everything for me!:) We are also using 8th grade History.

Ds used SOS English 11 this year. He hated it. If the answers on the quizzes weren't typed in exactly like the program wanted them, then they were counted wrong. For example, if ds put the answer "Herman Melville" but SOS had it as "Melville", it was counted wrong. A newer version came recently, but I don't know if they've changed anything regarding that.