Menu

What can I cook for my small group?

A meal I did for our small group recently was "breakfast for dinner" dinner. I made biscuits and sausage gravy, scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit trays and waffles and coffee cake was the dessert. It went over well, but it was a lot of work; I made it all from scratch, so I made a few things a few days before and froze them (biscuits and cake) and then I fried all the bacon the night before and then just threw it in the oven to heat it up which worked really well.

Pulled pork bbq? If you can find a pork roast (it's called "boston butt" - not sure why - my kids think it's hilarious) on sale, just cook it in the oven for several hours (salt, pepper & garlic on it first) until it's falling apart. Shred with a fork & bring a couple of different bbq sauces to serve with it. And buns. Coleslaw should be cheap now to make, as it is cabbage season.

HTH! That's one of our crowd-pleasers in these parts.

We often have a salad bar for groups that size. You could grill a couple of chicken breasts and cut them into bite sized pieces, then put them on a platter with small bowls of beans, sunflower seed kernels, 'shrooms, olives, tomatoes, cukes, craisins, boiled egg, shredded cheese, croutons, onion slices, bell pepper, mandarin oranges and whatever else you think folks might want. Provide a couple of dressing choices, we usually offer ranch, catalina and my house vinaigrette and a HUGE bowl of salad greens. Usually a big hit!