Menu

Your opinions, plz: Kindle, Nook, iPad..........

We are trying to sort through information to make decisions with Christmas approaching.

DD11 and DD10 read voraciously. DS10 - would read more with a larger font AND does very well with books on CD and he follows along (voice to text in one of those mentioned above? :confused:)

I 'think' we were shown an iPad at someone's house months ago - the h/w each have one (older couple - no children) and they have photos on it, books, looked like they were able to put everything on it......so I wonder if that might not be a good choice at least for me......lesson plans, etc.

Opinions, please. I probably won't comment on replies unless I have a question. TIA.:)

In an ideal world, a Kindle (or Nook) for each of your kids, and an iPad for you.

The Kindle does text to speech, so your ds could listen and follow along. (Also, if you already own the actual audiobook, you could put it on the kindle in mp3 format and he could listen while reading.)

Another benefit for your family is that you would only have to buy a book once, and then all your dc could read it at the same time on their respective Kindles. And with the Kindle app (or B & N app, if you decide to go with the Nook), you could read the book on an iPad as well.

I would not get your kids iPads for reading, especially if they read a lot. Kindles/Nooks are much easier on the eyes because they are not backlit. E-readers are smaller and lighter. Also, there is the temptation to play games, watch videos, use internet with the iPad, rather than reading.

For you, I think an iPad would be worthwhile. Lesson plans, e-books, internet, other useful apps - I think you'd get a lot of use out of it.

In an ideal world, a Kindle (or Nook) for each of your kids, and an iPad for you.

The Kindle does text to speech, so your ds could listen and follow along. (Also, if you already own the actual audiobook, you could put it on the kindle in mp3 format and he could listen while reading.)

Another benefit for your family is that you would only have to buy a book once, and then all your dc could read it at the same time on their respective Kindles. And with the Kindle app (or B & N app, if you decide to go with the Nook), you could read the book on an iPad as well.

I would not get your kids iPads for reading, especially if they read a lot. Kindles/Nooks are much easier on the eyes because they are not backlit. E-readers are smaller and lighter. Also, there is the temptation to play games, watch videos, use internet with the iPad, rather than reading.

For you, I think an iPad would be worthwhile. Lesson plans, e-books, internet, other useful apps - I think you'd get a lot of use out of it.

Very helpful -- thank you!:) very very helpful.

I agree with Laurel that there really isn't a perfect device yet and you may need more than one type. Our library is almost entirely digital and we need to use several different tablets and ereaders for different reasons.

Be aware that kindle's text-to-speech is not available on all books, and it's not the same as listening to an audiobook. The iPad has text-to-speech too, with similar limitations. My son who loves to listen to books definitely prefers audiobooks.

If you want photos on it and such, you definitely want an iPad. But I cannot stand to read on an iPad, so we need e-ink devices too.

You might wait a little to see if the rumored Nook Color might work for you. It's not e-ink, but it looks like there are some interesting possibilities with it and the new Nook Kids.

I love my Kindle, but I agree, the text-to-speech is not at all like listening to an audio book. It's very robotic, and I've only used it on long car rides because I can't read in the car. It's not very good, but if I'm bored enough, I'll do it!

My mom first bought a kindle and kept telling me to buy one. I didn't really think I'd like it, but I love it!

Be aware that kindle's text-to-speech is not available on all books, and it's not the same as listening to an audiobook. The iPad has text-to-speech too, with similar limitations. My son who loves to listen to books definitely prefers audiobooks.

I love my Kindle and would like to purchase one for each kid as well. There are many free classics available and it's so easy on the eyes for reading.

I would not buy them iPads because I limit their time online. It would be good if you were considering a laptop or something and didn't need all the functions of a laptop, but more than an e-reader. Now an iPad for me would be awesome!! :)

We are trying to sort through information to make decisions with Christmas approaching.

DD11 and DD10 read voraciously. DS10 - would read more with a larger font AND does very well with books on CD and he follows along (voice to text in one of those mentioned above? :confused:)

I 'think' we were shown an iPad at someone's house months ago - the h/w each have one (older couple - no children) and they have photos on it, books, looked like they were able to put everything on it......so I wonder if that might not be a good choice at least for me......lesson plans, etc.

Opinions, please. I probably won't comment on replies unless I have a question. TIA.:)

I can only comment what I have heard other people say. But people I trust.

DH just went and tested the e-readers that he could test. He decided that the kindle was the best one out there. The others felt cheap to him. We can't afford an iPad.

A good friend of mom's has both a Kindle and an iPad. She is one of a couple that are gadget people. Have to have the latest and greatest. She has a iPad because they are apple people as well. BUT she prefers to read books on the Kindle. The lighting is better.

I've been trying to decide between Nook and Kindle and I think I'm going for the Nook. The two reasons are that I can borrow e-books form the library with the Nook and I you can swap certain books with the Nook with friends (I hear this feature is limited, but they do have a borrow feature for some books that aren't already free).

Other than the fact that I'm cheap and trying to get as many free books as possible, they seem close enough not to matter. The ipad seems like a whole different monster though and doesn't eliminate the eye strain factor (IMO one of the major reasons for buying an e-reader).