Menu

Tornado; Columbia, TN.

Wow. Radar right now just looks like a usual T-storm. The fall tornado season drive me nuts. Did you see what's to the Southwest of you heading in the same direction? Yeesh! Looks like we'll be taking cover at some point overnight, too (if the storm tracks stay the same)....

Crystal, if the current track holds, you'll be hunkering down, too, as the storm in Tupelo looks like it will pass through you to get where I am.

Did I mention that I dislike the fall tornado season?

Hope everyone is/stays safe!!

I hate the fall storm season in AL. We are just north of Huntsville and hoping to avoid most of it tonight. Of course I have a dog that is terrified of storms so I know during the few hours that the new baby will let me sleep the dog will keep me up because of the storms.

I hate the fall storm season in AL. We are just north of Huntsville and hoping to avoid most of it tonight. Of course I have a dog that is terrified of storms so I know during the few hours that the new baby will let me sleep the dog will keep me up because of the storms.

Yup. I've been through more than 20 fall storm seasons here~~I'm just to your south; I have a harder time of it every year..... the sirens, the sirens, the sirens. My nerves just can't take it anymore. Sigh. Hopefully it will be a quiet season!

I am only an 1-1hr15minutes from HSV. We are there quite often at SciQuest. If all goes well, we will be at their Halloween party this Friday.

DH and I had fallen asleep on the couch, the alarms have went off twice now and it is only 10p. Horray :glare:

Stay safe everyone!

Wow. Radar right now just looks like a usual T-storm. The fall tornado season drive me nuts. Did you see what's to the Southwest of you heading in the same direction? Yeesh! Looks like we'll be taking cover at some point overnight, too (if the storm tracks stay the same)....

Crystal, if the current track holds, you'll be hunkering down, too, as the storm in Tupelo looks like it will pass through you to get where I am.

Did I mention that I dislike the fall tornado season?

Hope everyone is/stays safe!!

We just got hit by the second wave awhile ago and then I had to reassure my youngest that everything is fine and I will get her if it is not so she could go to sleep now.

We just got hit by the second wave awhile ago and then I had to reassure my youngest that everything is fine and I will get her if it is not so she could go to sleep now.

Aww.. it's so hard on the kids & animals, isn't it?

Is everyone who posted OK?

We had storms most of the night (or it seemed that way!), but if the alarms went off, I slept through them.

Does anyone else think that "tornado alley' has moved/widened a bit our way? In over 20 years here, I could swear that our storms are increasing in in their damage potential (tornadoes, strong winds, hail). I'm thinking it has widened eastward to about Chattanooga and north/south from Nashville to B'ham as it seems like this area has been getting more and more bad storms. The thing that scares me about the 'real' tornado alley is the size of those tornadoes. Although, maybe seeing them coming in the day rather than peering into the dark skies is worth the bigger size? I hate tornadoes. :glare:

Hope everyone made it through this round with nothing more than lost sleep and nice, wet grass!

I am only an 1-1hr15minutes from HSV. We are there quite often at SciQuest. If all goes well, we will be at their Halloween party this Friday.

DH and I had fallen asleep on the couch, the alarms have went off twice now and it is only 10p. Horray :glare:

Stay safe everyone!

Crystal - We are at Sciquest a lot as well. My son is always begging to go plus we do their homeschool science classes.

We are fine here. I'm worn out from being up until 3am when the storms passed and then the baby decided it would be fun to only cat nap the rest of the night after sleeping great during the storm.

I grew up in Kansas so I'm used to the massive tornados and bad storms, but the thing I hate about the storms here is that they pop up so quick and can produce a smaller tornado without much warning. In Kansas we could see the storms coming and had more warning that the storm cell coming at you would be likely to produce a tornado.

Does anyone else think that "tornado alley' has moved/widened a bit our way? In over 20 years here, I could swear that our storms are increasing in in their damage potential (tornadoes, strong winds, hail). I'm thinking it has widened eastward to about Chattanooga and north/south from Nashville to B'ham as it seems like this area has been getting more and more bad storms. The thing that scares me about the 'real' tornado alley is the size of those tornadoes. Although, maybe seeing them coming in the day rather than peering into the dark skies is worth the bigger size? I hate tornadoes. :glare:

We actually live in Dixie Alley-where the majority of the most severe storms can be found. Ours our less frequent but produce more damage. Nice, huh? Things you learn from watching Storm Chasers.

We actually live in Dixie Alley-where the majority of the most severe storms can be found. Ours our less frequent but produce more damage. Nice, huh? Things you learn from watching Storm Chasers.

Huh. I never heard that before. I'll have to see if I can find more info on that. How far east does it extend? I know Northwestern Alabama has had more of the bad stuff than the central part (for as long as I've been here at least), but it's the north-central and Northeastern parts that seem to have been assimilated.

It just seems that when we first moved here, everyone talked about "The '72 tornado" and then the more recent big one that I was in "The Nov of '89 Tornado"... no one talked about having too many others and other 'old timers' don't recall that many. In the last oh, 15 years or so, it seems that every other storm is producing a funnel cloud (spotted, not just radar indicated), and I know that we've personally had more encounters with them than I care to think about. The storms are also getting windier and we often have hail. I never saw hail until my ds was 3 or 4 (10 years ago), and now it's quite common. Common enough, in fact, that we now comment on the size 'compared to last time', and needed a new roof from the April '09 storm where we measured hail at 6cm *after* it had sat in the yard for a good 10 min melting! :glare: And we've had hail several more times since then, too.... the first was the week after the new roof was on!

And to think we're bracing for a squall line again this afternoon....

Off to read about the Dixie Alley! :auto:

Hope everyone stays safe this afternoon. The kids in the schools around us are getting out early today for the storms. I hate how they panic around here for storms but I do understand some of it since most people don't have basements. We were lucky and bought a house with a basement so we just go play down there on days like this.

The winds that we are having already are starting to scare me. We have already lost 3 good sized branches from our trees. Our house is surrounded by mature trees and this dry weather has really done a number on them and the wind is just breaking apart the dying branches.

Amazingly all the storms that have come near Huntsville in recent years have split around our house. They either go north of Huntsville and hit Hazel Green/Tn state line area, or hit Huntsville and the areas east of it. Thankfully in the 5 years that we have lived here we have yet to have any damage or any hail bigger than a pea.

I'm about 30 minutes south of Huntsville, and it is just plain creepy outside today! I hope everyone stays safe!

Jen, I may be way off here, but I think the last really strong tornado that hit the city of Huntsville was in '89. That was a scary day... It does seem like storms tend to split off one direction or the other from the city.

Yeah, all the kiddos are or are already home from school around here as well. What was really scary was there was nothing on the radar to indicated a tornado around 1130p, then BAM a tornado warning for this area. The kids were either on their way home or getting ready to dismiss. We were on our way home from J's OT appt and I heard something off in the distance, like the tornado sirens going off-DH didn't belive me. Um, when the blarring came over the radio, he believed me. This storm hit about 12 miles west of us and then tracked north east, so were safe-from that one.

Our home too is surronded by mature trees and I have branches all over my yard.

Stay safe everyone!

Hanging out in the basement bathroom with the kids. Storm just went three miles north of my house with multiple wall clouds and a funnel cloud that may have touched down several times!

I really hate it when these storms come during the day. They scare me and it is so hard to stay calm around the kids.

I have always heard it called Tonado Alley and unfortunately I have seen some pretty bad ones.

It is part of Tornado Alley but we live in Dixie Alley.

My Mom remebers some awful ones when she was growing up. I do not want to experince that. Yeah, I live in the wrong area of the country, huh? :tongue_smilie: