Menu

Peela....your dd's hair is gorgeous! Can you give tips?

I assume anyway that it is your dd in your siggy photo. I know you've talked about her having success with Curly Girl methods. Can you share her hair care 'routine'? My dd has curly hair that she's just recently started making more of, rather than pulling it back straight. She puts some product in to hold the curl, but it still ends up a little frizzy. Her curls aren't so tight as your dd's but she would love them to be!

Thanks!

Lol. Well, she spends AGES in the bathroom every day so I am not sure you would want your dd to do that if she doesn't already :) Personal hygeine etc is rather important to her (you could call it teenage vanity :)). She can spend 20 minutes in the shower easily, but that will include shaving her legs etc. We are forever knocking on the door telling her to get out.

But her basic hair routine is to wet and condition her hair every day in the shower. She combs it through with a wide toothed comb in the shower. I think she rinses it lightly- leaving some in.

She only uses shampoo once in a while, when it looks greasy. Maybe once a fortnight.

As for brands...we just try different ones all the time, but generally speaking she uses the better quality ones. I often buy her the more natural ones, but then sometimes she will ask for the salon brands. She finds that she needs to change brands regularly. I find the same.

She never uses a hair brush- just the comb in the shower, and I think her fingers or perhaps the wide toothed comb, afterwards. Then she lets it air dry.

Other than that...not much at all! Her hair is very slow growing- it was never long when she was young. She gets a trim maybe once a year or does it herself. She does use chemicals (mousse etc) on it every now and then, such as when she is going to a special function, but day to day, she doesn't tend to. The colour is natural. She did get some blonde streaks in it once and it did dry it out somewhat.

I think the key is to keep it very decently conditioned all the time, so it doesn't really get a chance to dry out. It definitely used to frizz before she learned to do that.

And is her hair soft, or does it have a 'product crunch' to it - you know how it goes kind of stiff after using a gel-type product. My dd's is a bit stiff. Do you have some product names you could tell me?:bigear: I live in WA, too, but country, so I'm bound to be able to find the brands. The one my dd uses at present is just a supermarket one, I think it is called Curly Girl, actually. I'd love to get her some different ones to try, though.

Thanks again :-)

And is her hair soft, or does it have a 'product crunch' to it - you know how it goes kind of stiff after using a gel-type product. My dd's is a bit stiff. Do you have some product names you could tell me?:bigear: I live in WA, too, but country, so I'm bound to be able to find the brands. The one my dd uses at present is just a supermarket one, I think it is called Curly Girl, actually. I'd love to get her some different ones to try, though.

Thanks again :-)

I have curly hair and use Garnier Curl Sculpting cream-gel. I put it in after showering. I've tried many different products and that one seems the best for my budget (~4-5 at drug store).

Peela - yes, your dd's hair is gorgeous.

My dd does her hair exactly the way Peela's dd does, and it looks just as gorgeous (if I say so myself :001_smile: ). She's just recently started doing this and LOVES it. She always hated it before because it frizzed.

You don't have to buy the Curly Girl products to get this beautiful result. What our dd's do is the CurlyGirl *method*, and your dd can do it w/o any special products, too. ;)

My dd's hair is very soft, btw. Not "stiff" from product.

Oh, waving at you Isabella, didnt know we had another local here!

No, no product crunch- very soft. The conditioner keeps it soft- she doesnt use any styling products normally- just the conditioner daily.

At the moment I bought her Tres Semmes or something like that- supermarket. Cos she goes through a lot of conditioner and it was on special, and their heavy moisturising one works well.

We have done Alchemy (the black bottles) and the Byron Bay Hemp Co.'s Finest Hemp Hair Treatment is absolutely amazing- i use it myself. I get it from Precious Organics in Myaree. http://www.thegoodoil.com/

The BedHead products for curly hair from the hairdresser shops is wonderful too, but expensive and we can only buy them in pairs, and we both go through so much more conditioner than shampoo its not worth it. Sometimes I buy it on ebay though.

She gets a lot of attention for her hair. Yes, she does appreciate it however sometimes she would like a change- a hair colour or fancy cut- but it never seems worth it because it couldnt relaly improve what she has naturally. So, she just plays with it.

Oh, yes...we have TreSemme here at the moment, too. It's usually way cheaper than some of the big brands, and doesn't do too bad a job. We do go through lots more conditioner than shampoo because we have 4 girls in the house all with long hair. I will look into some of the other brands you mentioned.

I'm going to show dd your post and encourage her to try your dd's way. At present she washes her hair in the evening, (she uses shampoo as well as conditioner, so will get her to drop that), scrunches her hair, and piles it on the top of her head, before going to bed. I tend to think sleeping on it wouldn't help, as far as frizz goes. Yes, I know that knocking on the bathroom door feeling - she's the same age as your dd, so I guess it's to be expected. We have our own water supply, though, which is not at an ideal state with the dry winter - so her dad is usually the one calling out to her to watch the water usage!!

Tell your daughter not to do anything with her hair!! It's so gorgeous as it is - she is beautiful, too! She has so many subtle natural highlights that you could never replicate in a salon

Yes, I'm a local :seeya:- I've been to your house to drop off latin books years ago, actually. My board name is not my name, just the name I always wished I was born with!:D

Thanks again for the tips - I'll let you know if there's any difference to dd's hair.

Edited by Isabella