Menu

When to teach cursive?

squirtymomma

I know some people like to teach cursive first. My dd has done HWT: pre-k, K, and she's currently working on the 1st grade print workbook. She's really interested in learning cursive for some reason, I think just from watching her grandmother write. Is there any reason I couldn't go ahead and let her learn cursive next year, when she's in 1st grade? I want her to finish the HWT workbook we're currently using first.

I don't know if it's "right" or not, but I did! My DD wanted to learn cursive, and was actively trying to do so, therefore I figured we might as well start now. And it's working well. We're not moving particularly quickly, but she's making progress.

My DD was already a solid reader, so I wasn't concerned about her needing to learn to write to help her learn to read, which is the only justification I've seen for doing manuscript first that makes sense to me.

I taught my oldest cursive first. He picked up printing rather naturally.

My younger two have been copying letters for a long while now. With them, it's more of an issue of making sure whatever they are writing is done with the correct strokes and with a good grip....it's more like trying to keep up rather than teach. My *plan* was cursive first, but that went out the window when they began copying print everywhere. LOL

I think the younger the better for cursive b/c you aren't just teaching her to write, you are building muscle memory. If you want her to have a beautiful cursive hand as an adult, train her up in cursive as soon as she's ready. My dd5 writes mostly in print right now (ETC pages), and is practicing cursive letters...we do light work with Recipe for Reading where she writes a few words in cursive. My "plan B" is to let her fill in worksheet pages (like ETC) in print, but to require cursive as she grows into spelling and copywork. I'll letcha' know how that goes.:tongue_smilie:

My daughter's printing is beautiful, and I really don't see how we can do much more with it (except to keep practicing it over and over). She is interested in learning cursive next year in first grade, so I don't see why not.

We'll see how it goes, but at this point, that's the plan! Cursive in first grade for handwriting instruction, and we'll start copywork with printing, then perhaps transition to cursive as the year goes by. No harm in learning how to "make the letters," IMO, and no rush to get there, either.

Here's a thought on it that my experience tells me is true:

http://www.newamericancursive.com/faq/

Click on "Why Start Teaching Cursive Early?" HTH.

We started cursive in 1st grade and I'm very pleased with the results. We did it because my ds asked but his handwriting is nicer in cursive and it resolved his minor spacing issues. After seeing all of the benefits to teaching my ds cursive, I'll be starting my ds4 next year when he starts school with cursive as well.

I think you have to use the child's interest to your advantage. I had intended to transition dd5 to cursive in September. But in July, she did not want to wait! I told her she had to commit to 10 minutes per day, 4 days per week. Now, she is writing in cursive almost independently (still needs a little help on the less common letters, like "z").