Menu

Harold Jacobs Elementary Algebra-Pre-Algebra included?

Edonian

I noticed, and read, many posts on this curriculum before. However, I am not satisfied with my level of understanding people's input on it. My question is this: I am considering this for a seventh grader who has a very solid understanding of Mathematical concepts, and is very comfortable and confident overall with doing Math. Now, I would not say gifted, although definitely a strength. Should he complete a Pre-Algebra curriculum first, or is going straight from 6th grade Math into this doable for this type of a student?

Thanks for whatever help you can give. I would plan to purchase the Dr. Calahan DVDs to do it with.

Prealgebra is a review of arithmetic and some early algebra stuff added in. Jacobs has the early algebra stuff. If your son is solid with the arithmetic, Jacobs should be fine.

My son started Jacobs in the 5th grade after completing 6th grade math and he was fine. I did have him do a review of arithmetic with ALEKS at the same time because he has some issues with memory.

Okay, Kai, that was very helpful. I have never heard of ALEKS and that sounded interesting so I looked it up. Its not in the budget for me. But I am having my son do timed review online and also another version on paper with both facts, and applied arithmetic. I do this mainly because although a solid student, is just slow. This is not so much a weakness, but a lifestyle :) So, I'm trying to help him "compete" with himself on paper or online. He likes overall the challenge. Buuut, when the time is up, we're back to normal pace . . . Sigh. Anyway, so you think that a solid math foundation is mostly what is critical here, if I understand you correctly. Did you use the DVD's too? Thanks again!

Here's a great Pre-algebra workbook that can be used to review/refresh/practice both basic math skills and some pre-algebra concepts.

This book is also sold with a CD companion of the teacher explaining each concept.

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Essential-Skills-PRE-ALGEBRA-CONCEPTS/dp/0966621190/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287715833&sr=8-1

You could do this prior to beginning Jacob's or just do one page a day as a warm up.

I used a basic pre-algebra text (BJU) with my son for the first semester of 6th grade. We only covered the lessons that provided any needed review OR that taught some fundamental algebra concepts (such as solving basic equations). Then we started Jacobs the second semester of that year.

In retrospect, my son could have gone straight into Jacobs. The text does provide some review of arithmetic and introduces algebraic equations rather gently. But we are now on Chapter 12, and the text has picked up the pace quite a bit! So honestly, I am glad we spent that little bit of time using the pre-algebra text. It gave my son a few more months to mature a bit ("a bit" is a relative term! lol!).

Anyway, you can certainly go straight into Jacobs with a strong math student. Just be prepared to slow down when needed. Jacobs provides LOTS of practice. My son works Sets 1, 2, and 4 of the lesson exercises. I only use Set 3 (which is almost identical to Set 2) if the need arises. I've only had to do this with 2 or 3 lessons.

For what it's worth, we are also working through Life of Fred's Beginning Algebra. My son completes a chapter in Jacobs then does the corresponding chapter in Fred. This schedule has been very nice! And I use Art of Problem Solving some, too. It will take my ds 3 semesters to complete Algebra 1. He should know it well by then!

HTH!

Jetta

Did you use the DVD's too?

We did not use the DVDs. I didn't know about them at the time we were using Jacobs (or perhaps they weren't out yet). Also, we need secular materials and my understanding is that Dr Callahan gives a Christian slant to his lectures (it's not clear to me how one can inject religion into math, but maybe I'm just dense).

Also, if you're interested, there's a review of Jacobs Algebra on my blog:

http://atreehouseeducation.wordpress.com/2010/08/20/favorite-resources-elementary-algebra-by-harold-jacobs/