Menu

Have 2 questions for those using TOG

plain jane

I'm considering using TOG for my Logic stage history rotation. When I was on the site last night I realized that they consider grades 4-6 to be upper grammar and 7-9 to be dialectic. Thing is, my fifth grader will have already read most of the books in the upper grammar level and I had hoped to put them in the dialectic level.

How true to age/skill are the TOG levels? I know you can go back and forth between levels according to what your child is ready for but I can't afford to buy all the lower grammar (for my younger student), upper grammar, and dialectic books (I would like to purchase ahead of time so I have everything ready to go over the summer rather than winging it during the school year).

Could a student who is working above grade level in grade 5 be capable of the dialectic level work or would I be expecting far too much from them?

Also, I was wondering how many of you choose to buy the print and DE edition? I would like the print edition for sure because I can't afford to print everything off and I don't like reading off the computer, but I can see the benefit of having an electronic version as well. My problem with this, is being a new TOG user, adding the $20 for the DE version negates my ability to resell should the program be a total flop for us. :( I'd like to hear your pros and cons about which to choose, please.

I can't answer as to the ages and stages yet, because my kiddos are both lower grammar, but if you have multiple levels of kids, I would suggest the print version. I will have kids at the same level for most stages and prefer the DE so I can print off only applicable pages. With multiple stages, you could be printing more than you would like. Just a thought!

Buy just the print. If it works out, you can spend $35 to add on the digital. You lose the savings, but get the digital benefits once you *know* it will work.

As for your 5th grader in dialectic...yes. You can do it, just remember to ease into dialectic discussions, i.e. assign a couple of questions, not all of them! My daughter, an average student, started Dialectic in grade 5 and her average student brother started rhetoric in grade 9, her other "gifted in humanities" brother is doing R in grade 8. My current 5th grader is doing both UG and D, as appropriate for her skills (lots of D reading, but not much by way of Socratic Discussion or writing).

TOG really is what you make it!

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

Buy just the print. If it works out, you can spend $35 to add on the digital. You lose the savings, but get the digital benefits once you *know* it will work.

If you buy a print version used, would you still have the option to add the DE for $35? Just curious. :001_smile:

My DD10 is in sixth grade by PS standard (started K at 4), she is doing D with TOG Y2 this year. In looking back at Y1, she did what would be D work last year as well. I have just eased into the discussion questions as recommended without trouble, especially since she is coming from SL.

I purchased DE, by the unit so that I was sure. If it didn't work I would only be out the $35. I recently upgraded to DE plus print while print is on sale, $50 off for Y2. I really like having the print for planning but love the DE, a few clicks on the desktop and I can pull up whatever I want, search the year, or print. My youngest DS is only two years old so I am thinking DE will pay for itself over time. :) I discussed this with one of the Somervilles, if you buy the DE then you have the lifetime option of purchasing print for the going rate. I had originally intended to wait until my DD was in R before I bought print but couldn't pass up the price with the current sale. This way I have one print copy and can always update pages as needed in the future, or in 10 years if I think I need to I can just buy the latest print. That was my reasoning with so many DC to follow. YMMV.

Edited by melmichigan