Menu

Challenged with Memorization

Hello fellow Hive people,

This is our fourth year of hs'ing and we have had some amazing successes on our journey. I've tried, as best as I am able, to follow the classical method. Some areas remain weak though, and memorization is one of those things. Maybe its because I'm an older mom and feel lacking in being able to memorize things myself....I don't know.

Not only do I regret that we have not been memorizing scriptures from the Word, but dd has not memorized poetry or any other materials. DD does study and know her Bible and is familiar with a number of poems, but it's just that we have not committed specific verses or pieces to memory. My dd is 11 yo now, and it seems that I should try to work something in to our studies.

Has anyone out there dealt with this same challenge? What methods did you use for working with your dc, especially dd's in this age bracket? Are there any Bible memorization programs that you've found helpful? And are there particular poetry guides available for the purpose of children's memorization?

I'd love to get some ideas from others and would appreciate your taking the time to share. :bigear:

Blessings,

Lucinda

I think you'd be a great candidate for Pudewa's poetry memorization program: http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/pmc (The link is to the set -- you can also buy the book separately and skip the CD, if you like.) It begins with an article on the hows and whys of poetry memorization, including a method for memorizing and reviewing based on the Suzuki method for learning music. Once you've used this, you'll find it much easier to approach other material that you want to memorize. The book itself is divided into various levels that you simply work through, memorizing as you go. It starts with simple, fun pieces, and gradually adds longer, more complex, deeper works to memorize.

I do think it's a bit over-priced, but that's my only complaint.

You can apply the same approach to scripture memory, but I don't have a specific resource to recommend there.

I think you'd be a great candidate for Pudewa's poetry memorization program: http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/pmc (The link is to the set -- you can also buy the book separately and skip the CD, if you like.) It begins with an article on the hows and whys of poetry memorization, including a method for memorizing and reviewing based on the Suzuki method for learning music. Once you've used this, you'll find it much easier to approach other material that you want to memorize. The book itself is divided into various levels that you simply work through, memorizing as you go. It starts with simple, fun pieces, and gradually adds longer, more complex, deeper works to memorize.

I do think it's a bit over-priced, but that's my only complaint.

You can apply the same approach to scripture memory, but I don't have a specific resource to recommend there.

This looks wonderful and I'd love to try it, but I agree that it is over price. That amount would be prohibitive for us right now - otherwise I'd be checking it out!

Blessings,

Lucinda

http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/memorysys/

This is a great resource! We are using a notebook system called Mnemosyne based on this system. I can't find the link to the notebook maybe someone else can post. Anyway, the girls are given a new poem each Monday. They copy it and place it into the notebook under daily and practice it everyday. On Friday they recite it from memory and then move it through the notebook. They also add in scripture when needed. They have 15 minutes each day scheduled for memory work. They study the new poem and then review the ones the already know. Oh, they also recite every poem already studied on Mondays. At this point they all have 9 poems committed to memory. It is working great.

This looks wonderful and I'd love to try it, but I agree that it is over price. That amount would be prohibitive for us right now - otherwise I'd be checking it out!

The book without the CD is $24. You do not *need* the CD. Also might be available used somewhere...

How about Living Memory. It is a reference work with a lot of material to memorize. You can pull things out of there and then file a 3x5 card with the title under an appropriate heading. I know there are parents who do this. N

We use Classical Conversations, but it is spendy and you don't memorize poetry.

Disclaimer: I am Director of our CC program, but I will not make any $ if you joined.

Edited by newlifemom
Oops typo

My kids are a little younger (5, 7, 9) but I feel that we've not been dealing with memory work as well as we could.

My solution for this year (working pretty well so far) is to read their memory work onto my mp3 player (it has a microphone) then store it on my computer and rename it and then put it on an mp3 player for them to listen to. They listen through their memory work files about 3 times, it takes about 10 minutes (or less). It really seems to be helping them, even the visual ones :tongue_smilie:Right now my oldest has the most to listen to; she has her memory verse from CBS, poem from FFL4, any relevant grammar rules, poem or whatever from history and a list of books of the new testament, oh also 2 latin verbs.