Menu

Great Quotes....

My mom, who is VERY anti-homeschooling, is on one of her kicks about how I am ruining my children's lives sent me this quote today..

Do not confine your children to your own learning, for they were born in a different time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My husband then went and found a bunch of quotes that I could then send back to her--which I have decided not to do BUT I thought you may enjoy them.

"One of the first things a family tries to teach its children is the

difference between good and evil, right and wrong. One of the first things

our schools do is destroy that distinction.'

- John Taylor Gatto, foreword, The Art of Education

"Public schools are the nurseries of all vice and immorality."

Henry Fielding (1707-1754) English novelist, dramatist.

"In the first place God made idiots. This was for practice. Then he made

school boards."

Mark Twain (1835-1910) American writer.

"We are shut up in schools and college recitation rooms for ten or fifteen

years, and come out at last with a bellyful of words and do not know a

thing." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) U.S. essayist and poet.

"You don't have to think too hard when you talk to teachers."

JD Salinger (1919-2010 ) U. S. novelist and short-story writer.

"Everyone who is incapable of learning has taken to teaching."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900) Irish poet and dramatist. The Decay of Lying.

"He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches."

George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) British dramatist, critic, writer. Maxims

for Revolutionists.

Do not confine your children to your own learning, for they were born in a different time.

That's actually relevant and pro-homeschooling lol- I've seen it on sites full of pro homeschooling quotes before. Are you sure she didn't mean it as a concession to homeschooling maybe not being so bad (as opposed to some sort of insult)?

Unless you were homeschooled (I gather not), then you are NOT confining your children to your own learning (behind a desk, in a classroom, indoors etc).

No trust me, I read it as you read it but it was intended as an insult because she often tells me that I am limiting them and isolating them since I am their teacher.

:glare: I wouldn't argue with her poor logic. Honestly, I wouldn't do anything except vent here or with your dh.

I'd be very tempted to drag along a Rainbow Resource catalog next time you visit. I'm quite sure you didn't write every item in their catalog, so how could you be limiting them? Some people truly don't have a clue how many resources are available to homeschoolers.

Well, you should email her back as if you took it the way it is actually meant to be taken lol.

"Wow, mom, that's great that you found that quote and it had such an impact on you. I am glad that you're coming around! I've always loved that particular quote, too. When I was a kid, I had to sit behind a desk for hours, in a classroom with a group of kids all my exact age, doing deskwork and homework and spending my days behind four walls...

...but you're right! My kids don't have to do that because I have found a better way! They get to have one on one time with a caring adult, they get to be out in the real world around all different people, they get to spend more time out of doors, more time being a kid, more time exploring their interests...

...anyway, I'm glad you've realized that! Thanks again for the quote!

Love,

4kiddies"

:)

Bravo!

And here are a couple more:

Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school.

- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"What we want is to see the child in pursuit of knowledge, and not knowledge in pursuit of the child."

--George Bernard Shaw

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."

-- Albert Einstein

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

-- Mark Twain

Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune."

-- Jim Rohn

"In large states public education will always be mediocre, for the same reason that in large kitchens the cooking is usually bad."

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The best teacher is the one who suggests rather than dogmatizes, and inspires his listener with the wish to teach himself."

-- Edward Bulwer-Lytton

"A teacher is one who makes himself progressively unnecessary."

-- Thomas Carruthers

"The authority of those who teach is often an obstacle to those who want to learn."

-- Cicero

Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself."

-- Chinese Proverb

"Education would be so much more effective if its purpose were to ensure that by the time they leave school every boy and girl should know how much they don't know, and be imbued with a lifelong desire to know it."

-- Sir William Haley

Well, here's the thing. I'm NOT confining my students to my own learning. That would be prideful, IMHO, for me to think that I know everything that they need or want to know. This is why we read great books, talk to people in the real world, study great thinkers. Honestly, who is more confined - the homeschooled student who has a world of resources, or the traditionally-schooled student who is CONFINED to the resources forced upon him in the school situation?