Menu

U.S. History -Paper crafts, dioramas, etc. need suggestions!

I have discovered that we LOVE this and I just finished planning out Unit 4 of TOG2 with very little paper crafts after the American Revolution (week 33), while I don't have a problem with not having a paper craft for weeks 34-36, I would love to know what you have used or will use.

Actually it worked out fine that we don't have paper crafts for those weeks because I have a few U.S. Constitution items that I want to explore.

I may be missing something but all the paper crafts books that I've looked at cover:

American Indians, Colonial America, American Revolution, and then they jump to Pioneers, Westward Expansion and Civil War. I haven't found anything (yet) to cover the time period that is addressed for Unit 1 of Year 3

Week Unit 1: Napoleon's World

1 John Adams’s World

2 Napoleon: The Man and His Career

3 Early Industrial Revolution in England and America

4 President Jefferson and Lewis and Clark

5 President Jefferson and the Development of the Supreme Court

6 James Madison’s Presidency and the War of 1812

7 Independence Movements of South America & the Congress of Vienna

8 Simon Bolivar and South America

9 President Monroe and the Monroe Doctrine

I've just found my groove w/ TOG and we love it. Dd7 (to be 8) loves the paper projects (creating something, ability to draw, color and the satisfaction of seeing something tangible), I love the paper projects b/c there are no supplies and if ds4 messes anything up, I can quickly photocopy whatever it is that he destroyed without the whole project being ruined.

There has to be some huge book of paper crafts for U.S. history that includes all topics and I just haven't found the right title. I have seen

Super Social Studies! (Grades 4-8) (Paperback) by Elizabeth Van Tine

and this *might* be the solution but the inside views don't show the examples on the front cover which are what we like.

Unless I find something that covers it in an all-in-one resource, I do plan on using Hands-on History: Pioneers (Hands-On History) by Michael Gravois but that won't be until Unit 2 of Year 3.

I feel like I've hit a goldmine of creative juices that accomplishes so many disciplines: project preparation, LA integration, etc. and I don't want to lose this element just because I can't find a resource. For the presidents, I've taken the clip art from Homeschool in the Woods timeline figures and created a biography page.

What I learned about (George Washington):

Picture _______________________________

of ___________________________________

George _______________________________

Washington ____________________________

This will get boring though. Please share your resources if you have any.

I have discovered that we LOVE this and I just finished planning out Unit 4 of TOG2 with very little paper crafts after the American Revolution (week 33), while I don't have a problem with not having a paper craft for weeks 34-36, I would love to know what you have used or will use.

Actually it worked out fine that we don't have paper crafts for those weeks because I have a few U.S. Constitution items that I want to explore.

I may be missing something but all the paper crafts books that I've looked at cover:

American Indians, Colonial America, American Revolution, and then they jump to Pioneers, Westward Expansion and Civil War. I haven't found anything (yet) to cover the time period that is addressed for Unit 1 of Year 3

Week Unit 1: Napoleon's World

1 John Adams’s World

2 Napoleon: The Man and His Career

3 Early Industrial Revolution in England and America

4 President Jefferson and Lewis and Clark

5 President Jefferson and the Development of the Supreme Court

6 James Madison’s Presidency and the War of 1812

7 Independence Movements of South America & the Congress of Vienna

8 Simon Bolivar and South America

9 President Monroe and the Monroe Doctrine

I've just found my groove w/ TOG and we love it. Dd7 (to be 8) loves the paper projects (creating something, ability to draw, color and the satisfaction of seeing something tangible), I love the paper projects b/c there are no supplies and if ds4 messes anything up, I can quickly photocopy whatever it is that he destroyed without the whole project being ruined.

There has to be some huge book of paper crafts for U.S. history that includes all topics and I just haven't found the right title. I have seen

Super Social Studies! (Grades 4-8) (Paperback) by Elizabeth Van Tine

and this *might* be the solution but the inside views don't show the examples on the front cover which are what we like.

Unless I find something that covers it in an all-in-one resource, I do plan on using Hands-on History: Pioneers (Hands-On History) by Michael Gravois but that won't be until Unit 2 of Year 3.

I feel like I've hit a goldmine of creative juices that accomplishes so many disciplines: project preparation, LA integration, etc. and I don't want to lose this element just because I can't find a resource. For the presidents, I've taken the clip art from Homeschool in the Woods timeline figures and created a biography page.

What I learned about (George Washington):

Picture _______________________________

of ___________________________________

George _______________________________

Washington ____________________________

This will get boring though. Please share your resources if you have any.

What about History Pockets for Lewis and Clark, have you looked at this site, it has several resources.

http://www.abookintime.com/projects.html

If you do find one all inclusive resource let me know! :001_smile:

Jessica,

I will explore this further to give some input, but I was wondering if you could post your Yr. 2, Unit 4 project plans. This is where we currently are.

Just as a side note, we have used Homeschool In the Woods Colonial Life CD's to make several paper projects to add to projects listed in TOG. One of them is the Colonial Fashions project. We used the transparency overlays and it was fantastic! I plan to get their most current one for next year.

Michelle

The Homeschool in the Woods products look great but I worried they would take too long and not be a good investment in the long run.

IR= Independent Read, RA= Read Aloud (these don't necessarily have to be done during our history time)

Week 28

Sea Clocks

Benjamin Franklin (D'Aulaire)

Hasty Pudding Ch. 1

IR- Gulliver's Travels

RA- Ben & Me (2 ch./day)

Activities:

Benjamin Franklin Experiments

Make bread from Hasty

B.Franklin bio page

Gulliver SAP

Week 29

George Washington (D'Aulaire)

Liberty!

Hasty Pudding Ch. 2

IR- George Washington Soldier (Level 3, DK Reader)

RA- Ben & Me (2 ch./day) or Matchlock Gun

Activities:

French and Indian War Lockbook from American Revolution (M. Gravois)

Define Matchlock vocab (SAP)

Mapwork

talk about Proclamation of 1763

Week 30

Boston Tea Party

Liberty!

Liberty or Death (Maestro)

Hasty Pudding Ch. 3

IR- Picture Book of Patrick Henry

RA- Matchlock Gun

Activities:

Kings & Queens (J. Green), pg. 26

Boston Tea Party Step Book from American Revolution (M. Gravois)

Amazing Grace lyrics

Patrick Henry bio page

Mapwork

Week 31

The 4th of July Story

Liberty!

Hasty Pudding Ch. 4

IR- Paul Revere's Ride

RA- finish Matchlock Gun or start Carry On Mr. Bowditch

Activities:

Paul Revere Mini-Book from American Revolution (M. Gravois)

Paul Revere bio page

Mapwork

Week 32

G.Washington (D'Aulaire)

Hasty Pudding Ch. 5

IR- Aaron and Green Mt. Boys, 18 Penny Goose

RA- Carry On Mr. Bowditch

Activities:

Circlebook of Important Events from American Revolution (M. Gravois)

G.Washington bio page

Mapwork

Week 33

A More Perfect Union

Hasty Pudding Ch. 6

Amazing Air Balloon

Daniel Boone by K. Brandt

IR- Daniel Boone Coloring book

Activities:

Daniel Boone coloring page

D. Boone bio page

SAP

Week 34

A More Perfect Union

Hasty Pudding Ch. 7

Flower Hunter

Our Country's Presidents

IR- Meet George Washington

Activities:

Flower Hunter SAP

Make a wig

Week 35

A More Perfect Union

Hasty Pudding Ch. 8

G. Washington (D'Aulaire)

Paris 1789

Our Country's Presidents

IR- Meet George Washington

Activities:

G. Washington bio page

Mapwork

Week 36

Hasty Pudding Ch. 9

Dear Benjamin Banneker

Our Country's Presidents

Activities:

Banneker SAP

Mapwork

J. Adams bio page

*The first thing to be dropped will be the Benjamin Franklin experiments, but I do love the book so if nothing else I want to attempt to read it each week.

Added: We may pull more activities out of American Revolution by Gravois, I went back and looked at it again and there are a few things I haven't pre-read to determine if we'll cover at this level, like the Boston Massacre and how much detail we'll talk about the taxes in the colonies outside of the Boston Tea Party. There are other items in the book we could use, I decided to photocopy the other projects so that they are ready to go if we do decide to use them.

Every week we'll have mapwork but only notated where we have a map to work on rather than using an atlas. The bio pages are what I created and will be the narration for those weeks where it is scheduled. G.W. is scheduled more than once b/c we go through different stages of his life. I hope that at the end of the unit, I can show dd where she created her own biography of G.W.

We also have a DVD of an reenactment from www.nccs.net for studying the Constitution.

A More Perfect Union
- America Becomes a Nation
(2-hour motion picture) is the first comprehensive recreation of those stirring, heated debates during the sweltering summer of 1787. Filmed on location at Independence Hall, Williamsburg, Virginia, and other historical sites, it dramatically chronicles how America became a nation and those underlying principles that guard our freedoms today.

I hope this helps,

;)

We've just started early American history. Have you checked out the Los Banos curriculum? She has a lot of internet craft links and recommended books. We did the Time Travellers CD for Explorers. It has some excellent paper crafts. We also used Easy Make & Learn Projects - The Pilgrims, Mayflower & More, and Hands-On History Colonial America. Both are Scholastic books. Hope that helps some!

My son enjoyed creating display boards (those science-fair things) for various wars (War of 1812, Civil War in US, etc.) His boards included various displays--lapbooks, for example, that might ask causes and open to display them, pictures, timelines, reports on battles, biographies of generals...graphics of ships with parts identified...

My son enjoyed creating display boards (those science-fair things) for various wars (War of 1812, Civil War in US, etc.) His boards included various displays--lapbooks, for example, that might ask causes and open to display them, pictures, timelines, reports on battles, biographies of generals...graphics of ships with parts identified...

We do this also. We really are enjoying it a lot!

Thanks Jessica, I knew you would give an excellent answer!

Michelle

Interactive 3-D Maps: American History by Donald Silver (Grades 4-8) by Scholastic

http://www.amazon.com/Interactive-Maps-Easy-Assemble-Concepts/dp/0439241146

AMAZING!

First People Arrive in America

Vikings Discover America

Columbus Lands in America

Cortés and Coronado Explore America

The French Explore N. America

Settlements at Roanoke and Jamestown

Voyage of the Mayflower

Slave Ships Cross the Atlantic

Piracy on the High Seas

Paul Revere's Ride

Washington Crosses the Delaware

Lewis and Clark Explore the West

A Ride Along the Erie Canal

The Trail of Tears

The Way West

Up and Down the Mississippi

The Underground Railroad

Messages Move from Coast to Coast (Pony Express)

Civil War on the Sea

The Transcontinental Railroad

The Western Cattle Trails

Immigrants Flock to America

Building the Panama Canal

On the Road for Civil Rights

From the Earth to the Moon (includes a map of the Moon with labels)

Informative, for example I wanted a map activity that showed where Paul Revere rode but this has even more,

Who was Paul Revere?

Who was Paul Revere trying to save on the night of April 18, 1775, and why?

What was Paul Revere waiting for in the rowboat?

What happened when Revere reached Charlestown?

What happened to prevent P. Revere from reaching Concord? Who alered the people of Concord?

The maps are interactive, meaning there is little flip up that show more information about the event, and there are movable pieces, like the Mayflower being able to slide from Plymouth, England to Cape Cod.

I'm such a nerd but I love this! character0048.gif

Ugh. I am new here. And I would almost rather not tell you this -- but we have never done any crafts, lap books, anything (hiding under my shirt tails as I type this!). We are doing SL core 3, early American. Can you tell me what would be the very best of the best resources to get me started on this as easily as possible? My 3 would love this! (11 dd, 8 dd, 5 ds) I looked at the link above and it shows history pockets and bunches of reproducibles by Donald Silver. Would any of those be worthwhile to get me started quickly on some fun to go along with our great reading? Thanks!!! I just started reading the WTM boards last week and have learned SO much already!

Ugh. I am new here. And I would almost rather not tell you this -- but we have never done any crafts, lap books, anything (hiding under my shirt tails as I type this!). We are doing SL core 3, early American. Can you tell me what would be the very best of the best resources to get me started on this as easily as possible? My 3 would love this! (11 dd, 8 dd, 5 ds) I looked at the link above and it shows history pockets and bunches of reproducibles by Donald Silver. Would any of those be worthwhile to get me started quickly on some fun to go along with our great reading? Thanks!!! I just started reading the WTM boards last week and have learned SO much already!

Have you looked into Homeschool in the Woods' Time Travellers Series. They have a "New World Explorers" and "Colonial Life" cd. I am using "The American Revolution" cd and it is great. The projects are easy, and beautiful. My kids loved the tax game, and the money we printed from the cd for the game was gorgeous and will be put in our coursebook. I believe these are worth the $$.

Dorothy

Jessica,

I have the 3-D maps book it looks awesome we haven't started it yet, but we will be soon. Also there is:

http://www.amazon.com/15-Primary-Source-Activities-American/dp/0439251842/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1209056413&sr=11-1

http://www.amazon.com/Pop-Up-Reports-American-History-Grades/dp/0590581015/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209056520&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Hands-History-American-Activities/dp/1425803709/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209056629&sr=1-3

Also there is the hands on history by scholastic. There is a lot of them here is the scholastic link, but amazon had a lot of them.

http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/search/?Ne=770&query=hands+on+histoy&Ntt=hands+on+histoy&Ntk=SCHL30_SI&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=2476&T=P

I hope these help. We love to add all the hands on we can get with all of our subjects.

We've just started early American history. Have you checked out the Los Banos curriculum? She has a lot of internet craft links and recommended books. We did the Time Travellers CD for Explorers. It has some excellent paper crafts. We also used Easy Make & Learn Projects - The Pilgrims, Mayflower & More, and Hands-On History Colonial America. Both are Scholastic books. Hope that helps some!

We use Los Banos & it's great. She does have lots of great ideas. The history pockets are awesome, too. I love Evan Moor products!