Menu

Are people who travel a lot more likely to be conservative voters?

I agree, Sebastian. The economic inequality in India is what disturbs me the most about that country; it's actually the whole problem, I think. The rich feel completely entitled to their wealth, and the Hindu religion seems to support that. It wasn't long ago in the West when kings had all wealth and power, supported by religion, and the common person hardly had any way to fight that oppression.

Sadly, it really hasn't changed all that much. I think it's mainly human nature regardless of country or system.

However, when one also sees multitudes "locked" into gov't sponsored poverty (cycles) and one sees African farmers put out of business by gov't "free" aid, one really starts to wonder if the gov't solutions are the best. That was my problem and what switched my feelings. I used to think gov't was the answer. Now I see it as a more major problem. The key, I think, lies somewhere in between the two, but I don't think utopia will ever be reached.

That said, my oldest has "seen" many things too and is convinced microfinance can help - hence - his planned future. He is going 12 hours from home to a college program where the profs teach from a different (though growing) perspective. If anyone is curious, see if this book is in your library:

http://www.whenhelpinghurts.org/

It was written by the professors he is studying under. It IS CHRISTIAN in perspective, so anyone offended by such things ought to skip it to save their sanity. I'm hopeful a worldwide thought shift can make something of a difference, but have seen enough of life and "human-ness" to realize utopia is a long way off.

So, based on your assumption that travel makes one more liberal and your belief that one can't vote responsibly until they are well-traveled, I guess only liberals whose travels have educated them should have voting rights? I guess you didn't say others couldn't vote - they just shouldn't vote based on their own opinion. How...tolerant.

Meriwether - who knows many world travelers, both conservative and liberal, including one man who spent years in Ukraine as both a missionary and a businessman (but of course his observations and experiences did not educate him).

I see how my words can be misunderstood. This is why it would be a much better conversation face to face :) No, I do not think that one has to travel in order to vote. That would be very intolerant indeed. I just think that if one is educated in world issues (which traveling helps that, but not necessary) then they are better able to understand the issues at home and politically are able to step out of a bubble that so many are in. That does not necessarily make one liberal - it just opens one up to see other sides of issues a little better. I also realize that not everyone who travels the world is educated.

I was just answering the original question with my opinion of my own life I suppose. I was raised very conservative 'following the leader' and not encouraged to travel or learn about other cultures, religions, ways of life, etc. for fear of being brainwashed. It was when I began traveling that I began to learn about ME and about the WORLD and where I fit into this world. It was eye opening to see that everything does not revolve around America and we are just a drop in the bucket in the great scheme of things...

I guess I better stop before I say too much again :)

It is a good conversation and it is refreshing to see every ones views. M

I see how my words can be misunderstood. This is why it would be a much better conversation face to face :) No, I do not think that one has to travel in order to vote. That would be very intolerant indeed. I just think that if one is educated in world issues (which traveling helps that, but not necessary) then they are better able to understand the issues at home and politically are able to step out of a bubble that so many are in. That does not necessarily make one liberal - it just opens one up to see other sides of issues a little better. I also realize that not everyone who travels the world is educated.

I was just answering the original question with my opinion of my own life I suppose. I was raised very conservative 'following the leader' and not encouraged to travel or learn about other cultures, religions, ways of life, etc. for fear of being brainwashed. It was when I began traveling that I began to learn about ME and about the WORLD and where I fit into this world. It was eye opening to see that everything does not revolve around America and we are just a drop in the bucket in the great scheme of things...

I guess I better stop before I say too much again :)

It is a good conversation and it is refreshing to see every ones views. M

You are certainly entitled to your opinion (said in a friendly tone:)). I always regret posting something critical, but that doesn't always stop me from hitting "submit".

What gets me - this is not a direct response at you - is that conversations along these lines tend to start with the assumption that people are conservative because they are ignorant and they would be liberal is they just knew better. See my above rant on the term narrow-minded. Some conservatives ARE narrow-minded. Some liberals are, too. Many conservatives are educated, open-minded people who actively decide they agree with conservative ideas and values. Travel can certainly broaden your experiences, but a wider set of experiences and appreciation for other cultures does not equal "liberal".

I agree with your statement on being narrow minded. People who are narrow minded can be on both sides of the political fence. :001_huh:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion (said in a friendly tone:)). I always regret posting something critical, but that doesn't always stop me from hitting "submit".

What gets me - this is not a direct response at you - is that conversations along these lines tend to start with the assumption that people are conservative because they are ignorant and they would be liberal is they just knew better. See my above rant on the term narrow-minded. Some conservatives ARE narrow-minded. Some liberals are, too. Many conservatives are educated, open-minded people who actively decide they agree with conservative ideas and values. Travel can certainly broaden your experiences, but a wider set of experiences and appreciation for other cultures does not equal "liberal".

conversations along these lines tend to start with the assumption that people are conservative because they are ignorant and they would be liberal is they just knew better. See my above rant on the term narrow-minded. Some conservatives ARE narrow-minded. Some liberals are, too. Many conservatives are educated, open-minded people who actively decide they agree with conservative ideas and values. Travel can certainly broaden your experiences, but a wider set of experiences and appreciation for other cultures does not equal "liberal".

:iagree:

I'm educated, open minded, raised liberal (so know the "whys" they believe what they do), but upon experiencing life - esp parts I wasn't as exposed to growing up, I've actively chosen to be mostly conservative/libertarian. I just think those policies tend to be better for the majority of the people. No policy is right for all the people. Neither conservative nor liberal have their policies 100% right IMO either.

• 2 weeks later...
Let me get this straight. The point we are debating is whether the military is strictly conservative or whether it is a mixed bag, correct? I post a list of Democrats *in Congress* with military service and that is somehow irrelevant? It is relevant because it shows that *many* people with military service *do* align themselves with the Democratic party.

You are going to have to explain how that is analogous. That makes zero sense to me.

The Army Times poll is not a proper poll of the military. It isn't. It's a poll of self-selected Army Times readers. That's like saying a poll by Esquire proves some point about what *all* men think because it's a magazine aimed at men.

You have yet to link a poll or article *of any kind* in this thread, much less one that shows the military *overwhelming* votes Republican vs. it being a mixed bag. Do you have a poll that shows *not* that the military community has conservative values (which it does, including me), but that they *overwhelmingly* vote Republican, in other words greater than say...70%? I gave polls and other evidence that showed it was a mixed bag. Can you provide evidence for your side or you just gonna keep talking? Put your money where your mouth is, pqr.

Article