Menu

Writing Program?

mjpeter

What program would you recommend for us?  

1. 1. What program would you recommend for us?

• IEW Student Intensive B
    • IEW Ancients
    • Writeshop
    • WWE (If so, what level for older child?)
    • MCT Town
    • MCT Voyage
    • Other

I need to supplement writing for my 12 yo and 10 yo. They are using Rod & Staff for grammar, and are doing well, but I'd like to supplement with more writing. My 12 yo is a great writer, but my 10 yo is very reluctant.

I'm having trouble deciding between the following choices:

IEW Intensive B

IEW Ancients since we're doing Ancient History this year

Writeshop

WWE (Haven't used it before, don't know if 10 yo is too old)

MCT (Town or Voyage)

Other

I would love to hear how these choices have worked with other kids this age! (Both natural writers and reluctant ones) :001_smile:

Edited by mjpeter

I am using R&S 2 for my 8yo and R&S 5 for my 10yo. I have used R&S for 3 years, and love it. I am using IEW American History with my son, and it is going great. We never did the IEW SWI. I tried Writing Strands last year; IEW is going much better. He is a wonderful writer. He loves it! I wanted to switch him to Ancients to match the history period we are doing, but he wanted to stick with American so we did. It still is working great, and I guess this way he is getting a little American history bonus in there. :-)

I am using WWE Level 2 for my DD, age 8. She is doing well with it. It is solidifying some great skills for her. I hope to move her into IEW in a couple more years.

We used Write Shop for 6th-7th-8th. Ds is a reluctant writer. I liked it because it was very detailed for both parent and student. You may read my review here.

Also, I have a review written by a lady who used both IEW and Write Shop. Email me if you would like it, and I will forward it to you. I don't like to post it here because I didn't write it.

Any other ideas?

I really think it depends on your particular style of teaching and your child's learning style.

When I was in the market for a writing program, I investigated 3 programs thoroughly. I had heard good things about IEW, but I knew I would never sit and watch DVDs. Classical Writing (this was when they only had a core book) was too intimidating for me, a reluctant writer as well. Write Shop provided the detailed instruction that both ds and I needed.

MCT and WWE didn't exist at the time, but I would surely investigate them thoroughly if I was looking now because they get positive reviews.

I chose other only because I wouldn't try one of the IEW's alone. If "you" don't understand the structure and style process, then none of their products will make sense to you. So the "other" means TWSS and SWI-B. I have all boys and they are reluctant (in different ways). IEW has been wonderful for us.

I vote IEW but just the TWSS which is a teacher training seminar. You can then use your syllabus to integrate writing into the rest of your subjects. The other IEW programs are not writing supplements but would force you to add a whole separate subject, writing, to your school day. I'm not sure that's what you want to add along with R&S. But the TWSS can teach you how to enhance the writing that you will naturally occur in your other subjects and every so often you can have a "writing lesson" to teach a new stylistic technique. It is teacher intensive in the beginning in that you have to go through the practicum on DVD. But then you can slowly incorporate the techniques described quite easily by taking a writing assignment from your English, history, or science program and showing your child the proper outlining for it. Then slowly build up the stylistic techniques to practice. That probably doesn't make much sense without watching the practicum (TWSS) but that's what's working for us, both enthusiastic and reluctant writers. I found the SWI-B and the medeival theme-based to add too much to the school day. We're really enjoying just the TWSS which is a prerequisite for the others anyway.

I voted Writeshop because it was what I chose when I went through this same thing before this school year began. My ds14 is the reluctant writer and my dd12 writes more than she needs to write. I love the small daily steps. It's easy to implement for me.

I tried IEW a few years ago but we didn't stick with it. I don't remember why. But I figured since I didn't stick with it once, there must have been something about it that didn't go well for our family.