Menu

Tripped up by sight words?

So dh really wanted ds to go to half-day K, despite my concern over sight words. Now, I feel we are being tripped up by them. I just looked at his reading homework, and they placed him in Unit 5, which is way too easy for him, simply because he couldn't read the sight word "said". The kids have to get 100% on each unit to move on and since ds couldn't read "said" despite reading phonetically really well, he can't move on (I've seen the curriculum and I think he should be at least at Unit 12 if not higher).

Has anyone else dealt with this? How did you handle it? I'm frustrated that he will be held back phonetically because there is no way to predict the order with which he will encounter these stupid sight words and there is at least 1 per unit. Ugh!

This is just like my daughter. There are alot of words on the primer, first, second, and third lists but because she didn't know a few on the pre-primer she is in the lowest reading level. We did not teach sight words at home but I have been this last week and she is doing very well remembering the words. Her school reevaluates every quarter so next month I'm guessing she'll move up because by that time she should know all of the words on the list. Just keep working with him at home mama and he'll be up there in no time! :001_smile:

Here is the list that they are probably using

http://gemini.es.brevard.k12.fl.us/sheppard/reading/dolch.html

It will all even out in the end. They have my dd on a Level 8/10 even though she can read more phonetically controlled books that are 18+. By the time, she gets to an 18 their way, she will be able to read anything.

Where do you find coordinating books for each level? They have my dd on a level 6 so I'd like to see what kind of books they have her reading there.

yeh dd couldnt read all her colors for her teacher so she was put at a lower level. she said she didnt know enough SIGHT WORDS!!! but she can spell and read better than alot of first graders. lol. she just spelled BOO in her sleep. it was so funny, my kids ready for halloween

I know this is not said often around here, but I am very pleased with the results of the conference. The teacher completely agreed with me, apologized for placing him so low and not recognizing he was a better reader (she did have initial assessment paperwork that suggested higher placement), and agreed to re-assess and re-place ds. She said this is no problem because they differentiate instruction in school so much even within his reading group that she can bump him up units. She is also going to start a dialogue and maybe some kind of notebooking with ds about what he has read at home. She agreed with me about sight words and gave me a list of all the ones the program uses so I can teach them phonetically and they won't trip up ds.

Like I said, this is not a popular opinion around here, but I'm grateful for a school that puts phonics first and teaches traditional math, along with teachers who are partners in learning with parents!